1994 Cavalier Code Reader

Hello.
My car is randomly displaying the check engine light. It comes on for a day, and then off for a few days, then back on. I see code readers on sale at
Canadian Tire for about $30, and was thinking of getting one. Will they tell me what is wrong with the engine?
Also, what ones would you recommend for a 1994 Chev Cavalier?
Thanks!
There is no point in buying those; for a GM you can do the same thing with a jumper wire. See my site below or www.troublecodes.net for instructions.
If the Check Engine light has been coming on, then there should be a code stored in memory.
A few '94 and many '95 models are partially OBD II systems and cannot be read either with a jumper or with one of those cheap code reader devices, a real scan tool is needed.
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada