1994 Cavalier Rear Speaker Removal

Hello
I want to replace the rear speakers in my car. I can see almost the entire speaker from the trunk and I can figure out how to wire it up fairly easily in there.
The question I have is how do I get the factory installed one out? In the car, you cannot see any evidence of a speaker, meaning, most speakers now have a cover that you see, in my car, you do not. Its as if the speaker is below the carpeting.
So, do I have to get that whole back panel out in order to get at the speaker to remove it? Also, would I have to cut a hole in the carpeting to get new speakers in? The ones I want to get look nice and do have a cover, so replacing them as it is now, you won't get to see them, but maybe its just me, but being under carpet is distorting the sound!
Anyone have any suggestions for this model car?
Thanks.
Yes, unfortunately you have a remove the rear deck cover to get the speakers out. If the new speakers are deeper you will have cut out the cover. There is not enough room to mount under in trunk because trunk lid bars get in way.

If it's like the 3rd-gen cars (95 and later), they go in from the top, so you need to remove the rear shelf to get at them. This may require loosening the side trim panel on one side to free it up.
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Buy new speakers at www.bought4less.com then remove the package shelf to get to the screws.