1994 Roadmaster (LT1) starter motor

Dear all,
Im new here, bought my first American vehicle yesterday.
The starter motor wont turn when engine (Starter) is warm. I dismantled the starter and understod that the solenoid is working but the starter just wont
turn. After I cooled it with compressed air for 15 minutes it worked perfectly.
Is there a shortage in the starter? The previous owner just changed it and it looks brand new.
The starter really feels hot like hell after driving the car. When the car is left for 30 minutes the starter is actually hotter than the oilsump next to it.
/Peter, Sweden, 1994 Roadmaster Wagon
"Peter" wrote

the
wont
and
It there a heat shield that sits on top of the solenoid or just covers the starter? There should be. The starter sits very close to the right exhaust manifold and has always required some sort of heat shield on the small block chevy's.
Ian

Will have to check tomorrow, but I dont think so. I can see the starter from above. Maybe I can make a shield?
/Peter, Sweden
"Peter" wrote

That's where I would start.
Ian
Maybe I can make a shield?

It didnt do any good. Atleast not the way I made it...out of a showel for children... a aluminium sheet that i put between the header and starter.
Can I put two thin washers between the starter and the block to prevent heat from engine going into the starter?
I asked the previous owner if this occured before but ofcourse not. I cant tell if he is lying or not. He will however pay for a new starter but I wont buy it if thats not the cause. I will try to order a heatshield tomorrow but that is probably easier said than done here in Sweden.
Any other ideas what could be the reason otherwise?
/Peter, SWEDEN
"Peter" wrote

No, that won't work as you will change the distance from the flywheel to the starter drive, which you don't want to do.
> I asked the previous owner if this occured before but ofcourse not. I cant

wont
but
I would take him up on his offer of a new starter. You never know what might be wrong with the one that you got. And then, yes, I would attempt to get the correct heat shield...though as you say, it may be difficult over there.
Ian

Peter wrote:

Bad grounds or loose connections at battery/starter. GW

-Thanks. Been trough those. The problem is only when engine (starter) is hot.
/Peter, SWEDEN
Yeah, I read that. That's why I mentioned grounds. Resistance goes up with heat everywhere, not just INSIDE the starter. My knowledge is more general than Ian's though, so it may indeed be a problem with the starter itself.
Silliest thing I ever saw was when a friend was chasing a hot start problem forever, I walked over looked, and pulled the ground cable from the battery to the block off the block with my bare hand. I said, "it helps if these things are fastened in place". lol, GW
Peter wrote:

You should be able to if you have sheet metal handy... I'd also recommend experience cutting and fitting it. I've seen too many cuts caused by sheet metal to be sarcastic.
Vuarra

I had exactly the same problem with a 92 Caprice. A new starter motor fixed it.