1995 buick Le Saber coolant leak continuation

Hi Again, Well I got the upper plentium off the engine. Can't see any cracks in the plastic or tracks like water leaves when leaking. I see the gasket looks undamaged but I know there was a leak there. Mabey it's one of
those leaks you can't see with the naked eye. Anyway is it possible to just change the gasket? or not feaseable. Anybody done that? I ask this because time dosen't mean that much to me cuz I'm not on the clock. Mabey they use a proccess that is not feaseable to do for the home or shop machanic, don't know but it don't hurt to ask right? Any advice would be appericated Tom
1995 buick Le Saber 3.8 L "L" engine.

of
Anybody
or
would
Did a previous owner perhaps already change this plenum? If you plan to keep this car, and if it has the old plenum still in it, I would upgrade it while I had it open.
Ian (Shiden Kai) has mentioned kits to do the upgrade, which, I believe, requires installation of a metal sleeve in the plenum. There is a website, in Canada I think, for this upgrade, but last time I checked they did not take individual orders.
Otherwise, the new and improved plenums here went for a little over US$150 at last check.
The possibility of a leaking gasket may also be the case, and you would have to go below the plenum, IIUC.

Canada
have
I am assuming you have the Series II engine. I dont remember when the changeover from I to II happened in Buicks.

The "K" engine, "Series II", started in '96 in the Buicks.

I suspected that might be the case. I researched this once before and found that there was some variation about when certain models may have gotten the Series II.
In this case, then, to the OP, it is not strange that you have not seen the plenum to be a problem. The Series I did not have this issue.
But the Series I DID have shitty manifold gaskets.

I'm not shure what you mean " go below the plumem IIUC"
Actually belive it or not- I bought it from a little old lady when it had 63,000 miles on it. from the looks of everything else it probably hadn't been changed.
There ARE metal sleeves in the holes where the bolts attach it to the engine if that indicates anything.
I looked the whole thing over with a magnifing glass - couldn't see any cracks. Can one just change the gaskets? Or is that not wise. I will change all the gaskets in the injectors and fuel rail just for GP.
No anti-freeze in the oil but I will change it and filter anyway before I start it up again. Thanks again for the replys, Tom

believe,
engine
change
Tom, your car apparently does not have the Series II engine, therefore the infamous plenum problem does not apply.
New gaskets would be the way to go, IMO.
I have a Series I engine on the engine stand now, and the old gaskets, while not yet leaking when I pulled the engine apart, looked like they should have been.
These are the gaskets between the manifold and the head, not the head gaskets themselves.

Is this what you meant? It looks to me like you mean remove the lower intake manifold from the heads too. is that correct? The leak looked like it was high up on the engine right about where the plastic plenum meets the lower one or even higher like where the throttle body meets the plastic one. Not having done this before I am seceptible to optical illusions here. Could it be the lower was leaking and looked like the upper? I do know water flows downhill like other things but mabey the air movement from the fan made it go higher than the leak I suppose. Anyway I will know when it goes back together. I hate to mess with the lower if I don't have to. But you gotta do what you hate sometimes, lol Thanks, Tom

in
individual
the
series
hadn't
Tom
the
been.
the
for
Could
flows
you
Tom, if I can get the chance, I will try to go out and photograph the engine and pieces I have. We have had a rather tumultuous time lately, with parents-in-law's critical health issues, but if I can do it tomorrow, I will. Will have to find a place to post the pictures.
If at all possible, it is best to identify the leak source before tearing down. Since I have a Series I down to the bone, maybe I can make some photos that will help.

Went to the local auto parts store and got a set of gaskets yesterday for the upper plenum and fuel rail and picked up a new thermostat for good measure.
I got the upper plenum in the basement now to replace them. But it just dawned on me that there are 2 pieces to the plenum area. When i removed the plastic plenum there was another piece underneath it- a little smaller but fits inside it. The thing is- when looking at some pics of plenum on NAPA site they don't mention that second part. I will have to do a little more looking I guess to see whats up with that. It's supposed to storm tonight mabey more than a foot of snow sooo.. everything will be on hold for a bit seeing as I'm doing this outside. Again I hope everything turns out well for your family. Tom

the
I have the photos for you, Tom, and will email them privately. See if your setup looks like this one. Should be self explanatory.
On family, so far so good. It looked like father-in-law was a goner, but they got him stabilized the the ER, and things are settling back down. Thanks for your wishes.

Glad to hear things are better Tom