1995 Pontiac Grand AM

I have a 95 Pontiac Grand am that has a "rolling growl" to the front drivers side. I had my dad look at my car and he thought that I needed new brakes and ball joints so I replaced both of those. After
that didnt solve the problem I took it to a machanic and he said that I needed new tires. So I got the new tires but the same sound comes from around that tire. So back to my dad where he replaced the CV joint and its still making the same noise. Anyone have any idea what this could be ? I would rather keep my car instead of buying another one cuz i hate having car payments. any help would be very appreciative FYI it has 102,000 miles on it
Forgot to add that we replaced the wheel bearings also ...
OH, I see by the other post you already replaced the wheel bearings. Both sides I assume?
000,006 - Feb 4,1991 100,000 - Sept. 4, 1995 200,000 - June 19, 2001 1/4 Milllion - Jan 16, 2003 300,000 - March 3, 2005 500,000 - Dream On !
Try buyig a wheel bearing hub assembly next. Next time it makes the growl noise try steering the oppostie direction when the noise appears, if the noise immediately goes away or changes pitch that usually means its a wheel bearing.
Is the noise steady above a particular speed? The wheel bearings in my Bonneville would growl steadily at 23 mph or more, My 89 Cavalier Z-24 had to be driving 70 + to hear it growl.
Does the noise get louder the faster you go or quieter when you slow down?
Never heard of Ball Joints growling. They bang or clunk when a bump is hit.
Sounds like you spend enought $$$ already.
Good luck
000,006 - Feb 4,1991 100,000 - Sept. 4, 1995 200,000 - June 19, 2001 1/4 Milllion - Jan 16, 2003 300,000 - March 3, 2005 500,000 - Dream On !
"Harry Face" wrote: > Try buyig a wheel bearing hub assembly next. Next time it > makes the > growl noise try steering the oppostie direction when the noise > appears, > if the noise immediately goes away or changes pitch that > usually means > its a wheel bearing. > > Is the noise steady above a particular speed? The wheel > bearings in my > Bonneville would growl steadily at 23 mph or more, My 89 > Cavalier Z-24 > had to be driving 70 + to hear it growl. > > Does the noise get louder the faster you go or quieter when > you slow > down? > > Never heard of Ball Joints growling. They bang or clunk when a > bump is > hit. > > Sounds like you spend enought $$$ already. > > Good luck > > Harryface ؿ > 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE > 300,164 miles > > 000,006 - Feb 4,1991 > 100,000 - Sept. 4, 1995 > 200,000 - June 19, 2001 > 1/4 Milllion - Jan 16, 2003 > 300,000 - March 3, 2005 > 500,000 - Dream On !
First of all I want to thank you for a reply...
I have noticed when I turn into the Passenger side on a turn the noise goes completely away but when I go back to going straight or turn into the Drivers side its back the same noise. Usually the noise apears at the speeds of 25 and above. I havent noticed it going backwards because frankly I dont drive that fast in reverse but It might be worth a try. My dad replaced both sides of the wheel bearings. My dad is thinking that maybe it is the transaxle (?), I think thats what he called it but I might be wrong. Just wondering if I should stick anymore into this car or just trade it in for a different one.
Thanks very much.
A good qualified mechanic should be able check your transmission or front end to tell if you have ( another ) a bad wheel bearing. Again, when you turn the car opposite of the noise your taking the load bearing pressure off that part and that is why the noise goes away.
It's hard to believe that you got a defective wheel bearing, but I guess anything is possible.
Good luck.