1996 Corsica: Replace Engine?

A little over a week ago. I was driving home on a 250 mile trip from Virginia. There were no signs this was coming. The car always started awesome, ran awesome and arrived originally at the destination with no problems whatsoever.

Then while I was following a buddy home. The car just suddenly lost power, I thought it didn't kick into gear for a moment. Then quickly realized it was more than that. The temp on the oil suddenly started rising and falling as I was finding somewhere to pull over. Once I did the car wouldn't start right. It would eventually turn, but it was running rough and would stall. There was a sort of banging clanking sound. Like something was banging against metal upder the cylinder head.

The car is still at the garage it was towed to. They haven't officially looked at it but when the guy came to tow it, he said it was dead and needed a new engine.

That was what happened. My main concern is what an engine (2.2L, V4) would cost. Even moreso, my warranty. It covers all kinds of "engine components". Sounds like one of these failed. But there's little weaseling out of things they put in it like failure must be due to the problem, must have been "properly maintained", etc.

Has anyone had an experience with things like that? How many labor hours is an engine replacement supossed to take by book? I want to make sure this warranty company doesn't screw me. They've been sued in the past by the state.

Reply to
drbill28

I replaced the engine in a '91 Grand Prix once. It was a 3.1L V6 and the engine itself only cost $250 (Canadian) at a scrap yard. The scrap yard is very well known for selling top notch stuff, and I know the family who runs it, so I knew I was getting a good one. As for labor? We did the engine swap in the driveway. All and all, it took about 4 days, but that's because none of us had done this before on this type of car, and we are all 'backyard mechanics'. By the way, most warranties I have been offered would replace the entire engine if necessary, if the loss of the engine was due to a failure of a component, and not the driver. Hence, if you drive the *hit out of the car, never do oil changes, were running with no coolant, etc ect, then they would probably put up a fight. If not, then I think you should be fine. Hell, it may just need to be partially rebuilt and not replaced.

Reply to
80 Knight

Thanks, this makes me feel much better. It has a $100 deductable. I hope the warranty company pressures them down. The problem is I have no control over the parts used or the actual work. I'm looking for engines for it. Trying to find something low mileage if possible, I see anything from $400-$800.

I didn't drive the *hit out of the car. Heck I owned the car less than

3 months and was only just over 1,000 in my own driving. I had the oil changed shortly after I bought it regardless even though the dealer did all that stuff. The problem is the warranty words with exceptions for "damage from previous or improper reapir". There's a few outs if they can find the least bit of proof that possibly that even the previous owner didn't take care of the car... Still a little nervous with the previous lawsuit that they'll try to find a way to weasel out of it.

Other than that, I was loving my corsica...

Reply to
drbill28

It all depends on your warranty, especially that 'small print', but the last car I bought with a warranty was 6 months or 6,000 KM's total powertrain. I asked a lot about it when I got the warranty, and was told as long the car is not abused, like no oil changes, running with no oil, coolant, trans fluid, stuff like that, then the warranty is total. If the engine were to completely seize up, I was to call the 1-800 number for the warranty company, bring the car to the shop they suggest in my area, and whatever needed to be fixed would be. Like you said, you had only had the car less then 3 months. I can't see anything from a previous owner hurting your warranty. If it does, then that would probably be a problem for the dealership you bought the car from, as they issued the warranty.

Good luck with your car, and let us know what happens.

Reply to
80 Knight

Looking on the bright side, those 4-cyl engines were known for rocker arm problems--maybe one merely malfunctioned . Had it happen to a 4-cyl Lumina with only 19000 miles. Luck to you, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Thanks guys. I would understand the warranty if I knew more about cars. I have a copy of the warranty I showed my father. You can see it here.

It's the only place that the mileage of the car shows up in all the sales receipts, etc I have. I keep calling them and they keep telling me nothing, so if any of you know what the fine print in this case means. It stinks I was kinda forced to buy this car. It also sucks that the car is so far from where I am.

Reply to
drbill28

From what I can see, you have a standard warranty. If I were you, I would have the car taken to one of C.A.R.S's (your warranty company) 'qualified repair facilities', as stated in the warranty, have that place call C.A.R.S. and start diagnosing the problem. From what I see, just taking the car to any shop doesn't do the trick, as your warranty wants it to be at a shop of there choosing.

Anyhow, I know its been a few days, sorry about that, but let us know how things are going with the Chevy.

Reply to
80 Knight

Actually, it is at one. From the impression I get any "qualified" facility can be used. The same garage are the ones that towed it and CARS was afiliated with them for that. I'm waiting on them to check it out and call CARS. CARS gave them the information they needed to make a claim so I assume it's kosher. They...just haven't looked at it yet. I'm starting to get ticked...

80 Knight wrote:
Reply to
drbill28

Let us know how it goes.

Reply to
80 Knight

Well, the finally called and opened a claim. Took two days to convince them that they had to call. Suddenly they were saying they were waiting for them...

Reply to
drbill28

Just tell the garage you took the car too that you want the car fixed, and your not going to pay one cent. Your warranty should cover the repairs, and that garage could be putting money on the line by pissing around with you.

Reply to
80 Knight

I'll see what the next move is. I don't want to start making demands just yet. I mean I "don't know what the problem is".

When I had called the warranty company I was transfered to the adjuster. He said he was waiting for the estimate. He MAY contact me depending on the estimate. Then he asked me "well, what happened?" I didn't want to look suspicious, but I didn't know if what I said or how I said it might mean something to me. So I kept it short and disavowed of any knowledge of any problem and said I had detailed maintenence records for the small amount of time I owned the vehicle. Other than that I tried not to say I had any knowledge of what the problem might be.

Reply to
drbill28

Another update. The warranty company called me today. They want a teardown of the engine. I was stern said I didn't believe it was right, but the garage "don't know what the problem is". I have nothing I could say against it as it was part of the contract. A Michigan lawsuit barred them from doing unessessary teardowns. Since the garage doesn't "know" what caused it I couldn't see much else to argue. I don't know what to do next. The teardown could be $125 or $1000... I can't believe I have to pay to protect the warranty company, I have a warranty with them, not the other way around. I personally think it's crap, they should pay unless it's not a covered item.

I'm quite upset...

Reply to
drbill28

The warranty company should be paying to have the engine ripped apart. Unless the entire problem turns out to be something you did, such as run the car empty on oil, coolant or whatever (which you know you didn't), then they should be paying for the entire repair. That is my experience anyway.

Reply to
80 Knight

Well, they aren't, I have it in the contract. "A proper diagnosis of the vehicle, as determined by CARS must be performed by the reapir facility. The limited warranty holder is responsible for all charges relating to the tear down and diagnosis of the vehicle."

I'm trying to find out more, but no one can give me any answers.

Reply to
drbill28

Ouch. That sucks. What about when they find out the problem? If the problem was caused by something the warranty covers, will CARS reimburse you for the diagnostics?

Reply to
80 Knight

I assume no. It doesn't say it in the warranty.

Reply to
drbill28

That is BS, if you ask me. As far as I am concerned, if the problem shows itself to be one covered by the warranty, they should cover the cost of diagnosing it as well as the repair. However, CARS will likely 'assume' that you are grateful to them for covering anything. Warranty companies aren't worth crap, IMHO. I just remembered a similar situation I had with a TV warranty once. The TV had some lines showing up on it at times, so I called the warranty company. They said that someone would come out and look at it. They said if it was a problem they covered, they would repair/replace the TV at there own cost, if it was not a problem they covered, I would have to pay

*them* for coming out and looking at my TV. Like I said, IMHO, warranty companies aren't worth crap. I myself like having a warranty, but it's only as good as the company who owns it. As for you, I would fight to the death to get the car fixed by them at no cost to you. You have the warranty, you should be in control, not them. Fight for it. You may win, you may loose, but you will show them that you won't sit back and take there shit. Good luck.
Reply to
80 Knight

The problem is I don't know where to begin. I argued with them for a while about it. I couldn't get my way. They're still looking at the car since I haven't heard anything. No one can tell me what the real story is. I've called consumer advocate places, dealers, other garages, nothing. I've looked around there appear to be warranties that are so much better. I've learned so much from this still. Things like, don't buy the warranty from the dealer, get your own. I still may file a complaint with the attourney general though, I just don't know when I should do it.

Reply to
drbill28

If I were you, the first thing I would be doing is demanding that the car be diagnosed *immediately*. If they diagnose it, find a problem, and are willing to pay to have it fixed, then that's great. At the moment, you know nothing as to the condition of the car. Only that it needs a tear-down (which may be true), however, why haven't they done that yet? would be a good question to ask them. I would be on CARS's ass, as well as on the shop (the one you took the car too) as well. I would be demanding they get the diagnostic done on the car, and figure out what the problem is. At least that way you will know if its covered under your warranty or not. If the shop is not willing to comply, or if they insist on 'taking there time', I would suggest taking the car to another CARS approved shop. Perhaps the other shop is more interested in making money *and* customers then the one you are dealing with is. I'm not trying to come off as a complete ass here, but I have had my fair share of 'beat-around-the-bush' repairs, as well as 'crafty' repair shops, and I have learned that at times, it is necessary to be a complete ass to get things done with people like them.

Reply to
80 Knight