1996 Corsica: Replace Engine?

Page 2 of 2
Sounds like a typical warranty company. I would be calling them every 5 minutes (both the garage and CARS). Why can't the garage tell you anything? They are the ones who have the car,
they should know what's going on with it.

Well, the garage has the oil pan off (it's now being "tested") whatever that means.

Wow. I could have built the entire car from scratch by now. Well, at least you are farther off now they you were last time you posted. Keep on them, and good luck, again.
Just a general question. Say if I get this bill for say $350. And I only can pay $100 of it. And can't pay the rest right away. Do you know how payment would be handled by many garages? Do I not get the car back until I pay? Some sort of payment plan, etc.
I don't wanna ask because I don't want them to know I don't have any money right now.

Is that to say that you took the car in and had the work done already?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

This has been going on for a month.

Holy Cow. Did I sleep that long?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Yes, it was a warranty claim (see rest of thread). I wasn't expecting to have to pay much. Then the warranty company hit me with "you have to pay to have them prove it was a covered part by doing an engine teardown". Plus the car is really far away, it died 180 miles from home. So it could take me a while to get there to even get the thing anyway. I have no control over this.
If there's one thing I've learned, the auto industry from the dealer, repair shop and any warranty companies are out to cheat you.

Ahhhh. I remember this thread now. Sorry - I didn't make the connection at first. It is my opinion that the independent warranty companies are a rip off, but the entire industry is really not as bad as your experience has lead you to believe.
As for your car - yeah, you are obligated to the bill. You should be - you did authorize the work. I'm of the mind that you should not commission a garage to work on your car if you don't have the money to cover the repairs. These guys are in business and have to eat too. Whether they will work with you at all is wholly up to them, but my guess is they will not simply let you take your car on the promise to pay. If it were a garage you did business with and they knew you it might be an option, but they really have no basis upon which to trust a person they don't know. So... in answer to your question, the norm is to pay the bill and then get your car. There is a legal device known as a Mechanic's Lien which exists precisely for this type of scenario. Be prepared that if you cannot pay, they will slap one on your car. Also expect to pay storage fees every day while your car sits there. $30 per day is not unusual.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

They can hold until I pay for it. It just might take one or two months to do that depending on what the bill is. I'm not saying I demand I get the car back when it's done. Not every young person can carry around $500 at all times. If it was going to be $100-150 like I was lead to believe, it wouldn't be a problem. The warranty company screwed me over. The garage can never tell me anything. They just get upset when I ask simple questions like "ok, what actually did brake". I call them once or twice a week to check on it and he gets upset. It's not I'm an ass about it, I appologize for bothering them. It's like I'm the first person to even try to keep tabs on what's happening with my car with him. Two weeks of this was them thinking they should wait for the warranty company to call. Since then I realized I needed to call more often. It's first thing on the paperwork they sent to all of us that the first thing they're supposed to do is call the warranty company.
It's not like they're still not getting most of the money from the warranty company. Even if I have to pay anything, it's not for the cost of the parts. I pay the diagnostic cost (which everyone tells me is crap if it's covered and they don't pay that cost in the end) and $10/hour for labor (which is what the difference in what the warranty covers and what the garage covers says they charge) They seem to believe that garage is trying to screw them. Wait, they think that of every garage. The adjuster told me himself.
I'm just tired of it, I act way too nice all the time and the warranty company got me on that.
Perhaps you did not read your contact with the warranty provider, before you signed it, if that is what you believe.
mike hunt

No, I read it. The only thing it said is and I quote "A proper diagnosis of the vehicle must be performed on the vehicle". Their and my interpretation of that may be different. Hence why they were sued for misleading people about the warranty. Then it goes on to say that the garage much supply an estimate if a covered part failed, vehicle must be ready for inspection if they want an inspection.
Mike Hunter wrote:

In article
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The garage will expect payment in full upon delivery of the vehicle, cash or credit card, and if they take checks, I hope they have a check verification service.

That's generally how it works. Just like the grocery store, just like the department store, just like the gas station.

Do they know you well?

Not good. Expect the bill to go up as storage charges accumulate.
aarcuda69062 wrote:

That's what I assumed. This is my first repair, so basically they're selfish about it unless they want to play favorites.

That's obvious, it was part of the next question.

No, the shop is very far away. They know the situation I was in and met me that day that's it. They sound about dumb as stumps though. Took them three weeks just to look at the vehicle because they can't follow simple directions the warranty sent to them.

That's something I would have to discuss with them. They know how far away I live. I've seen the garage, there's not exactly space issues. I hope to keep those costs down or nonexistent. I've already been screwed twice on this matter. All I know is I wanted my car repaired and suddenly I have to pay to cover the warranty company's ass. It could take me a month or two to pay for the whole thing depending on what I have to pay. They're already getting reported to the attourney general when this is done.

Selfish? They are in business. Do you work for the promise that someday you'll get paid, but right now the employer can't afford to pay you and does not know when they might be able to?

Not so dumb that they didn't know how to fix your car though.

You might have a decent chance at getting the garage to agree to no storage fees. That's totally dependent upon your relationship with them. They do have the legal right to charge you so just be careful not to create animosity between the garage and yourself. It's a safe bet that if you do they won't be really likely to work with you.

That's understandable, but just remember when you talk to the garage that this is really not their problem, it's yours. They performed the work and they have every right to expect immediate payment. Any issues with the warranty company are strictly between you and the warranty company.

That would be a good move.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

That must have been some job. You didn't fill out at W4 form, or any other forms when you hired on to prove your hired status? What would one have to "prove"?

That one is easy. He can sue you simply because you can sue anyone for anything, but his chance of ever seeing you in court is about nil. I hope you didn't fall for this line from him. This guy would not be able to find an attorney to take his case to court - assuming it is as you say.

In this day and age it is quite uncommon to come to an arrangement that does not include some form of surity.

I'm seeing something here - a contract is a contract and is not subject to your interpretation of value.

Well - be careful. The garage did their job. That is good customer service. I don't think you'd find it easy to convince many people that they did you wrong by not extending any financial considerations to you after the work was authorized and performed. It's really not in their best interest too bend too much on your behalf. I know it sounds somewhat harsh, but the reality is that it's your problem and not theirs. It comes back to them having performed the service and being entitled to fair compensation. You'd be hard pressed to find that "reasonable man" that is often referred to, who would agree that in the name of good business, this garage should wait on their compensation. Just encouraging you to set your expectations properly.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
In article
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Did you happen to see a big red cross over the door of the shop?
Selfish has nothing to do with it. Them putting themselves in an 'as bad' or worse predicament as you might be in benefits no one.

Warranty companies like to jerk shop owners around.

Space has nothing to do with it. I park in parking lots that are 1/2 empty, I still have to pay the parking fee.

You bought a warranty on the drivetrain, not on diagnostics. Same thing can happen on a brand new car.

That's the thing about aftermarket warranties, most aren't worth jack.

arm problems--maybe one merely malfunctioned . Had it happen to a 4-cyl Lumina with only 19000 miles. Luck to you, s