1996 Impala SS

This is not a for sale pitch, only a request for opinions.
A new arrival in my office has a 1996 Impala SS that she wants to sell. The car looks cherry, heard the engine start and run but didn't get to look under the
hood. She claims the car has only 29000 miles.She says it has the "racing" tires on it and a "Corvette" engine (does that mean it's a 454?). She's had a for sale sign on it all summer and had no serious inquiries. Says her initial asking price was $18000, now down to $16000. I don't know what the car cost new, but to me it's just a 9 year old car and even $16000 is a lot to ask. I might go as high as $10k if I were interested, which I'm not. I know it had a small production run so...do you think it's too high or is the price justifiable?
Thanks.
| This is not a for sale pitch, only a request for opinions. | | A new arrival in my office has a 1996 Impala SS that she wants to sell. The car | looks cherry, heard the engine start and run but didn't get to look under the | hood. She claims the car has only 29000 miles.She says it has the "racing" | tires on it and a "Corvette" engine (does that mean it's a 454?). She's had a | for sale sign on it all summer and had no serious inquiries. Says her initial | asking price was $18000, now down to $16000. I don't know what the car cost | new, but to me it's just a 9 year old car and even $16000 is a lot to ask. I | might go as high as $10k if I were interested, which I'm not. I know it had a | small production run so...do you think it's too high or is the price | justifiable? | | Thanks.
Edmunds.com will have some of your answers. I bet it's not worth more than $5K...$6k at the most.
AndrewmZ wrote:

That's a pretty nice car....I'd imagine it's worth that price to the right buyer.
Ian

I think $10k is a fair price to offer if it has the miles that she says. The Corvette engine just means that it shares some similarities with it. I've heard it both as a 350 and a 262. I'm not entirely sure which it is though.
It has the "LT1" 350 V8, which indeed is the Corvette's engine of that period. Also some Buick Roadmaster and Caddys have this engine. Keep in mind that due to exhaust manifold chnages, etc, it did not have the Corvette's HP.
I have seen these cars with over 100K miles get approx $9,000 in good condition. I personally think $16,000 is too high, but I would not think $12,000 is outrageous.
These cars do have a very loyal following, and are bullet proof reliable. A good choice for a daily driver, or a future collectible.
Good Luck! Bill 88 Lancer Shelby 91 LeBaron Convertible 01 Chevy Impala LS

I agree, $12,000 should be her target point.
My friend sold his on EBay with 6,700 miles (N.C.) for $20,000. Tell her to try EBay and set her reserve. Then see what happens, guess it depends where she is. Michigan due to salting roads wouldn't bring as much as the south or s.w. would I suspect.