1996 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe/Two Door 4 Wheel Disk Conversion

1996 Pontiac Sunfire 2.4L engine (pretty sure) 5 speed manual ABS in working order

Hello All!

To preface this, this is my girl friend's car. She recently installed 17" rims with low-pro tires. They look pretty nice but there are some glaring problems that I can see. She has the stock rotors & calipers, and drum rears. It is my opinion that these not only look bad, but are not quite safe. I would feel better if she had four wheel disk to help with the increased rotational forces so she can stop faster, and to reduce any fade that is present from the drums. Given her somewhat limited budget I believe that the best way to convert this car to 4 wheel disk would be to get most of the components off of a larger FWD car that came stock with 4 wheel disks, and should have beefier braking capabilities. I would also think that an aftermarket adjustable proportioning valve would be needed. Basically only having wrenched on GM trucks and old GM cars (72-90)I know next to nothing about what donor car I could use. Speaking with the guys at work (where we do absolutely nothing to do with cars) we guessed a Pontiac Grandprix might be a good place to start - but this is just a guess. My thought was the rotors & calipers for the front wheels from the donor car, and the entire rear(dead) axle calipers/rotors/et. al. Then again not knowing what I am talking about I may be way in over my head here. Any and all input would be apprecated at the moment. I thank you for reading this and I am looking forward to any input the NG might be able to offer me.

~TLGM/KJ

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey

Yes, don't waste your time, and/or your girlfriends money. Just leave the car alone, it will be quite fine with front disc and rear drums. If you want a car with four wheel discs, it would be easier to just dump this one, and go buy a different car.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

I would agree, but you know the way broads are. Do you know of atleast a donor vehicle for rear disk? Looks like shit with rear drums, and it's just the "right" way to do things.

~TLGM/KJ

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey

I can't think of another GM product with 4 wheel discs that would even come close to fitting the rear axle of the J-body. Plus, it's never quite as simple as that anyway.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

I agree with Ian, it's not as simple as finding a donar car and swapping out.

Probably an easier way, though maybe not the cheapest, would be to visit

They specialize in J-body and N-body performance modifications, and sell rear disc convertion kits. If they are feeling nice, they may even know of a donar car. If anyone does aside from GM, it's probably them. Check that out first, before wasting a lot of time on a donar car that may not exist.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

Tell your girlfriend the conversion will cost $5000 or more and would cost more than the vehicle is worth. She may have a change of heart.

Does a 2000 or newer Sunfire have rear disc brakes? There would be your donor vehicle, if so equipped.

Another solution - contact MTV and tell them you want to be featured on Pimp My Ride and they'll take car of it for you.

Good Luck.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~281,722 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Um, speaking of Pimping your ride, have a look at this little movie I took of 26" "spinner" wheels on an Escalade.

(movie is 2 megs for those who have slow connections)

Disgusting!!! Heh heh...

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

What is MTV???

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
Reply to
SgtSilicon

I didn't think it would be simple, but just a good starting point. I guess the only way to go after that would be an aftermarket kit. Thanks for the help - as always an asset to the community.

~TLGM/KJ

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey

Sgt Sillicon asked " Whats MTV?

Its a cable TV station. MTV stands for Music Television.

Although now a days there is very little music video played and mostly half hour shows.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~281,824 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

More then disgusting. For a few years the ghetto boys around here have been putting large wheels on cars, with as short of sidewall as possible.

Just yesterday I pulled up next to a 85ish Monte SS. Body looked clean, then I noticed it was sitting about 3 inches higher then it should. When the idiot pulled away from the light, I got a view of 20 maybe 22 inch wheels, with little bands of rubber on them. The idiot could not even keep the car going straight!

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
Reply to
SgtSilicon

Watch yu be takkin about?

Diem be kool, ain shiet!

Awl da honkies be sweatin us ain shiet, bekawz we be havin nicest ridez ain shiet!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Reply to
newsgroup

Not to be cruel.... "thank you capt. obvious"

~TLGM/KJ

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey