1997 2500 GMC Suburban ABS System

My truck has developed a problem with the ABS Braking System since I put on a larger tire & rim. It came standard with 16" rims and I upgraded to 17". It has been two years, and recently noticed the abs kicking on at each stop. The dealers are now offering 22" rims with low profile tires, they could not answer my question if they adjust the abs to acommidate the tires. Is it because of the larger wheels or have they gone bad with only 33,000 miles.

Reply to
Bert
1997 2500 GMC Suburban ABS System Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Fri, Jan 2, 2004, 1:23pm From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Bert) My truck has developed a problem with the ABS Braking System since I put on a larger tire & rim. It came standard with 16" rims and I upgraded to 17". It has been two years, and recently noticed the abs kicking on at each stop. The dealers are now offering 22" rims with low profile tires, they could not answer my question if they adjust the abs to acommidate the tires. Is it because of the larger wheels or have they gone bad with only 33,000 miles.

The problem isnt your tires or the size....Sounds to me you have a sensor going out..Is your light on? The sensor measures speed by the revolutions of your hub.....Your tire size had no bearing on the revolution unless you have different size tires.....But if they are all the same size no problem....Scan your BCM to see if you have any stored codes for the ABS ....To find out which sensor it is... Steve C

Reply to
Steve Cook

if the abs was ok after tire install and just recently started activating at stops what has happened is the wheel speed sensors in the front hubs have built up with rust and the sensor is no longer able to produce the right voltage and tells the bcm that the truck is skidding and activating abs. remove calipers and rotors there may be a small heat shield over sensor remove one hub bolt and loosen the other so you can swing shield out of your way. then carefully try to remove sensor I have found, lots of penetrating oil and just turning sensor side to side do not rock the sensor just turn and pull straight up and sand all rust away from sensor mating surface and reassemble. if you break the sensor you can get this at your local dealership for about eighty dollars just remove broken sensor with pick and reassemble and abs will function normally. the tire size cannot be calibrated on a 97 k truck so you may want to swap tires back to see if prob goes away.

Reply to
gmgoodwrench2002

"Bert" wrote

on a larger tire & rim. It came standard with 16" rims and I upgraded to

17". It has been two years, and recently noticed the abs kicking on at each stop. The dealers are now offering 22" rims with low profile tires, they could not answer my question if they adjust the abs to acommidate the tires. Is it because of the larger wheels or have they gone bad with only 33,000 miles. ***********************************

gmgoodwrench2002 has the right idea. There is a problem with rust buildup on the sensor mounting surfaces on these trucks. As he mentioned, you need to remove the sensors, and clean up the mounting surfaces. You probably will not have any ABS codes, as the computer simply sees one of the front wheels going to "zero" at low speeds. The computer has no way of knowing that that wheel is not actually skidding, so it activates the ABS. If you have access to a scan tool, you can watch the wheel speeds in the data section, and see which front wheel "drops out" as you slow down. If you don't have access to a scan tool, just clean up both front sensor mounting surfaces and see if that helps the problem.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Mr. Goodwrench,Gearhead & Shi:

Thank you for your help but I must pick your brain again. I brought my truck to the service station before you replied and they said the problem looked as though the tire pressure was too low and sent me on my way. The abs light was never on, and problem continues to exist but not as bad. should I take it to a dealer sincr I am not in a position to do the work myself now or back to the station with your advice? Also, is it unsafe to drive the truck with this problem? the abs only kicks on when I have to hit them hard

Reply to
Bert

truck to the service station before you replied and they said the problem looked as though the tire pressure was too low and sent me on my way. The abs light was never on, and problem continues to exist but not as bad. should I take it to a dealer sincr I am not in a position to do the work myself now or back to the station with your advice? Also, is it unsafe to drive the truck with this problem? the abs only kicks on when I have to hit them hard

Uhm, I believe that ABS should only come on when you hit the brakes hard on dry surfaces. It's not unsafe to drive it, cars are still being sold without ABS.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

(TOP POST) Driving without your ABS..Is not a danger risk its just your truck will lock up the brakes if you slam on them real hard....Do this pull the fuse or relay for your ABS This will take your problems away but your light will be on....If you run it like that you have a chance of burning up your ASB module with is like $2000.00 so we dont want to do that...All unhooking the relay does is stops the pump from working until ou can get it fixed.....Usually its in your fuse box under the hood ..But tire pressure has nothing to do with your ABS....But yes your best bet is to have it looked at by a tech not jed at the gas station....Im sure he dont have the scanner to find out what the problem is....All the light not being on now means the computer didnt pick up a problem this ignition cycle not that the problem is gone... Steve C Re: 1997 2500 GMC Suburban ABS System Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Fri, Jan 9, 2004, 3:13pm From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Phillip=A0Schmid) "Bert" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com... Mr. Goodwrench,Gearhead & Shi: =A0=A0=A0=A0Thank you for your help but I must pick your brain again. I brought my truck to the service station before you replied and they said the problem looked as though the tire pressure was too low and sent me on my way. The abs light was never on, and problem continues to exist but not as bad. should I take it to a dealer sincr I am not in a position to do the work myself now or back to the station with your advice? Also, is it unsafe to drive the truck with this problem? the abs only kicks on when I have to hit them hard Uhm, I believe that ABS should only come on when you hit the brakes hard on dry surfaces. It's not unsafe to drive it, cars are still being sold without ABS.

Reply to
Steve Cook