1997 Buick Park Avenue--A/C problem

A/C works fine, no noise from compressor or clutch. When it cycles on and off, still no noise. However, when turned off I hear a shrill, sorta grinding noise, and can see little metal flecks beneath the
pulley. It's got to be the A/C clutch but don't understand what's happening. I assume it stays engaged as the thermostat cycles on and off, but why is it self-destructing when the system is completely turned off? ---Bob
Sound like the clutch is not fully releasing the pulley, or the air gap between the clutch and pulley is to tight, get this looked at soon, do not use ac in the mean rtime.

-