1997 cadillac Cattera For sale Mint!!! 12000$$

Page 1 of 2
1997 Cadillac Catera Mint Condiation 12000$
see Pics http://www3.sympatico.ca/htheriault
snipped-for-privacy@bellnexxia.net cell# 514-217-7977

Augh always get the car your selling detailed before you take pictures of it, dirty carpets = not good.
"Paradox" wrote

Yeah...I noticed that too. Oh well, I don't blame the owner for getting rid of that Catera. It might possibly be the absolute biggest piece of shit that GM has ever put together. If someone "gave" me one, I'd sell it the next day.
Ian
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Another rebadged car and the Cadillac name takes the hit of course. Thank you Opel.
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 23:13:58 GMT, "shiden_kai"

I still think the Cimarron (a Chevy Cavalier with Cadillac badges) takes the cake as the biggest POS. How they ever sold a single one is beyond me.
"Rutger6559" wrote

At least that car was still basically a J-car. Sure they were little shit boxes...but fairly easy to work on. The Catera is a nasty piece of European work. GM's "world" engine that they stick in there is the worst engine I've seen as far as design and being able to work on the thing. Just to replace the thermostat is a job that involves having to remove the upper, middle, and lower intakes. And then it gets fun from there.
Ian
shiden_kai wrote:

It's actually a good engine. The 2 inches of clearance around it is the big problem. You have to take out the engine or remove half of it to fix almost anything.
"Joseph Oberlander" wrote

It's not a good engine. It has timing belt problems, (actually timing belt tensioner and idler pulley problems)....it's an interference engine, it leaks from the water valve, the head gaskets, the oil cooler which is located in the most ridiculous place.
It's such a good engine that GM is finally phasing them right out. At least in the Cadillac line...the 3.6 VVT is taking it's place. Hopefully they never stick that belt driven piece of junk in any other GM vehicle. Ahhhh, the Saturns use them, but we don't work on them.
Ian
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 00:48:54 GMT, "shiden_kai"

tensioner, idler ,and water pump problems were fixed by a general recall by GM. As for belt-driven interference engines, may I refer you to almost every Honda ever built??

And the engine has been around for 7 years now- boy that's a real vote of non-confidence.
"linehauler" wrote

You are certainly welcome to your opinion on this engine. It's hard to imagine that you actually work on this engine for a living if you think it's a good engine....but stranger things have happened. I don't mind working on it, but it's not what I would consider a "good" engine. It's poorly designed as far as being able to work on....and it's not particularly powerful, or smooth, or quiet. The car would have probably been better off with a 3800 stuffed under the hood.
Who really cares what Honda is doing. I happen to think that running an interference engine with belts is a bad idea. When I worked at a Chrysler dealership for a while, I saw the results of this design in the Eagle Talon cars with the Mitsubishi 2.0 DOHC engine. One foolishly designed belt tensioner gives up the ghost and depending on what RPM it throws the belt at....instant 10K dollar engine job.
For whatever reason, General Motors decided to take the route of not building or designing any "domestically" built engine that was both interference and runs a belt. Good for them, it saved customers a lot of grief. The one dark blemish in the GM record was the plastic toothed gears in the 3800 engines. These engines are interference engines and when all the plastic teeth disintegrated off the cam sprocket, there were more then a few of these engines that sustained valve/piston damage.
Ian
Interesting! So, what is the advantage of inteference engine if there is any? Why anyone build and interference engine if there is such as risk? Paul

"NOSPAM" wrote

I'm not an engineer, but I believe that it's quite often necessary in order to be able to use the valve timing, lift and compression ratio's that most DOHC high performance engines need to run.
Which is why GM uses chains now on any of their late model engines. Plus, it's pretty much a must with the variable valve timing engines. The Northstar is now VVT, the new 3.6 is VVT, the inline engines in the trailblazers/colorados are all VVT (only exhaust cam on the inlines)
Ian (Northstar is VVT in the XLR only, I believe)
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 03:35:30 GMT, "shiden_kai"

No you are clearly not an engineer- you appear to be an auto mechanic whose main object in life is to moan and piss about the Catera's engine. What is your point??? If you don't like to work on them, then refuse the job, it is just that simple. I suspect you are an employee, however, so why don't you just shut up and get on with whatever job your boss orders you to do?
Yeah it appears to be a cramped engine compartment- ever tried working on a Jaguar XJ-12?? I have, plenty, and the Catera can't hold a candle to the Jag as far as difficulty of access to important components (starter for example), or for availability of replacement parts, or the price of those parts.
Catera in my personal experience is a well made car. You and the other poster appear as if by magic every time the Catera is mentioned, always with completely negative comments. I notice you chose not to reply to the fact that these engines were subject to a general recall to fix the problems with the water pump, tensioner, and idler ( the belts were replaced as well ). I notice further that you "don't care" about what Honda does, even though Honda has built a world-class reputation for reliabilty and longevity using belt-driven interference engines the whole while.
In short, you and Rutger ALWAYS get your (biased for whatever reason) digs in whenever the Catera is mentioned.
I'll get my own comments in whenever necessary to contradict the constant bullshit posted by you two.
Paul
I am Paul N who has posted the question about interference fit engine! Not the same person who is bashing other point of view or engine technology. Just to point that out!! Paul N

"linehauler" wrote

Right....it would be very easy to prove or disprove that the main object in life for me is to say disparaging things about the Catera engine. Have a look in the newsgroup archives and see how many times I talk about the Catera motor as opposed to all the other items that I talk about.

I am an employee, but it doesn't work that way in our shop. The boss doesn't "order" me to do anything. They are actually quite glad to have me around as I'm one of the few techs who can work on a shitbox like the Catera and be both productive and do good work at the same time.

The rest of the car appears to be fairly well made, but the actual driving experience is terrible. This is just my personal opinion, as are all the things that I say about the Catera. You are welcome to take it or leave it. Anyone who actually owns and drives one of these cars quickly discovers what a shitbox they are. We have Catera owners trading them in all the time.

Why discuss something that I'm quite familiar with. I believe I've done approximately 30 of these recalls. And you've performed how many of them? What....do you think that because a "recall" is performed, everything is "all better now"? The belt and idler issue is only one of the problems with that engine.

Yes, and they will have nasty things happen too when the belt breaks or jumps. I do agree with you about Honda, I've been looking at one for my wife. Great cars.

Oh please do....it should be exciting.
Ian
Ian, how come you aren't looking for a GM car for your wife? I know that GM cars aren't the most dependable but at least you have lots of experience with them and you have access to cheaper priced parts at the dealership. Plus, if you had to choose one GM car what would it be in terms of dependablity and performance. Thanks.

"Vince Markarian" wrote

I'm actually torn between a GM car and a Honda. It's getting to the point with new vehicles that it's very hard to do a lot of the work on the vehicle unless you have access to special tools and the factory scan tools. I would prefer a GM vehicle, other then the lousy reliability. I probably would pick an Impala with a 3800 engine. I liked the Intrigues too. It would have to be 4 door, otherwise the Monte is a nice car.
I suppose I could always try a Catera....(grin)
Ian
Ian
Are you considering a really " used " car for the wife?
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~275,726 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
snipped-for-privacy@AOL.com says...

It obviously doesnt take an engineer to recognize a bad design. Should everyone bend over backwards because some "engineer" one day thinks an engine doesnt need to be easily and quickly serviced? Thats basically what your view amounts to. Lets let the engineers get off scott free and not hold "them" responsible for bad designs.

Lets hope people that work on GM cars never become as complacent as you or GM might actually become as bad as Jaguar.

Ian didnt just appear out of no where, you did.