1997 Cavalier - Check Engine Light & ETS Off lights on..

My caviler would not start this moring, the engine would turn over fir a few seconds then there would only be a clicking noise, similar to a starter that
is not quite engaging. I boosted it and it started right away. I then went out and got a new battery. It seemed to do the trick. However; the check engine light came on later in the day, along with the ETS OFF light. The car seems to run well, the only thing that is not right is the car jerks hard when shifting. Could this mean that I need to add trans. fluid? I know that to do that I need to remove a plug on it and fill until it flows out that hole. Would the check engine light come on if there was low trans. fluid? Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks Robert

I changed the alternator on a Sunfire once, and after having the battery disconnected for a while (had to unplug it to work on the Alternator), when I hooked the battery back up the SES light stayed on for a few hours of driving. I spoke with my GM dealer and they said this is totally normal as the computer in the car had to put itself through cycles to confirm that everything is ok because the battery had been unhooked.
Your car is OBDII and you need to have the computer codes read to determine the cause. Guessing will cost you big bucks. Autozone and some other auto parts stores will read them for you at no charge. It could have been set by the low battery or changing it. Reset it and see if it comes back or wait a while and if nothing wrong it may reset itself after a few drive cycles....