1997 gmc 1500

will not shift from park.what do i need to do to fix the problem?

Uhm.. do the brake lights come on, when you step on the brake pedal? There is an interlock to keep you from shifting out of park w/out holding the brake.
Usually ( at least in my '97 Blazer manual) there is a procedure described, to get the vehicle out of park for towing or of the interlock failes. It involves removing the boot (my shifter is on the center console), and pressing a lever.
Try a new break light switch