1997 GMC Savanna 5.7L dies when applying brake

I have a 1997 GMC Savanna 2500 5.7L cargo van and when ever I apply the brake and come to a complete stop after going around 60 miles per hour it dies. No check engine light, no ABS light, nothing.
Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening ?
One person told me that it is a vaccuum leak, but a check engine light with a vaccuum leak code would be present and there isn't.
Oh, and the brakes are new and I did a tune up around 4K ago.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thank you,
James

I'm not sure that a vacuum problem in the Brake vacuum booster would not set an engine trouble code/check engine light.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

It sounds like your lock-up torque converter (tranmission) is not releasing properly. I have heard that this is not a particularly expensive fix.
Good Luck, Mark
Mark Sparge wrote:

Hello Mark, thank you for your response.
I looked up "lock-up" torque converter in alldatapro and it did not appear.
This is the only things that come up with Torque converter:
82 Torque Converter 80 Torque Converter Clutch 80 Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid 80 Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid
Maybe it's the solenoid, but this would be just guessing.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The lock up in the converter uses the clutch listed below. When it goes into lock-up the clutch is applied and locks the converter to the input shaft eliminating slippage.

When it dies how does it happen? You come up to a light and step on the brake and you hear the engine lug down and die OR does it shut off like you turned the key off? The usual symptom of the locked converter is that the engine struggles a bit as it dies, kind of like the way a stick shift acts if you are not careful letting out the clutch.
--
Steve W.

Hello Steve,
The engine struggles a bit as it dies, kind of like the way a stick shift acts if you are not careful letting out the clutch. This is exactly what happens, it takes a couple of seconds and then dies.
So, where is this converter located or how do I fix it ?
Thank you,
James
Steve W. wrote:

I installed a new EGR and the same problem occurs, anyone have any idea's ?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Had the same problem with 90 Cavalier. Changed the torque converter lockup clutch solenoid and it works perfect. It was easy on the front drive, just remove the side cover, replace the solenoid and that was it. Maybe somone in this NG with more knowledge about your van can tell you how to change yours. I would almost think the solenoid on yours would be under the pan or under a side cover. Hope the info helps.
Warren
A faulty brake vacuum booster or line would not stall the engine when applying the brake and there would be symptoms in the brake pedal.
Mark Sparge wrote:

Really!? That was the cause on my truck. Excuse me for attempting to help.
Dave S(Texas)
Maybe I'm wrong, was it stalling like mine ?
Alldata Pro doesn't list stalling as one of the factors when the brake booster is faulty, forgive me for questioning you more.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Thanks for the reply, but this vehicle does not have a brake vacuum booster.