1997 Metro: change the waterpump when the timing belt is changed?

Hi,

My sister is taking her 97 Metro in for the 100,000 mile timing belt change. Is it the case in the Metro that the water pump is easy to reach/change at the same time as the belt is replaced? She has the

1.3L 4 cylinder engine.

What sort of time should a repair place quote for the waterpump replacement in this case? Thanks.

Reply to
Lawrence_Q

With A/C, 3.4 hours to change the water pump. Includes removing and reinstalling the timing belt.

It's 3.0 hours to replace the timing belt only.

If you're going to replace the water pump at the same time, make sure you spend the bucks on a new one and not a reman. I've personally never had any luck with remans and new aftermarket ones usually aren't that much more. If you've got an extra $250 laying around, get one from the dealer. Then again, I'd probably hit the Suzuki dealer and price it there. The 1997 Geo Metro (p/n 91175666) is showing $250 but the Suzuki Swift (p/n 17400-82824) is showing $85.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Thanks for the reply....so the difference in labor between a timing belt/water pump combo is probably 30 minutes billable time? 3.4 hrs vs 3.0?

Also, I'm seeing all the new water pumps (not remanufactured) listed at kragen.com for $50, not $250. Are the dealer ones really $250, or is that for power steering pumps?

Reply to
Lawrence_Q

The dealer almost always humps you on price. But Steve is right, if you are going to replace the pump, use a new one or a rebuilt from someone who is ethically beyond rebuke. There have been premium remanufacturers in the past, but you probably wont get it at Kragen or Autozone or Pepboys.

Dealership prices are sometimes several times the aftermarket price. And, may, or MAY NOT, be better.

Be careful. Research what you do.

Reply to
<HLS

Ah yes, this topic makes me remember the story of my Dad replacing the water pump on his 1980 iron duke Citation, he used some pepboys "guaranteed for life" pump. The job took him quite a while being a anal shade tree guy and the citation being not so well laid out and packaged. Then about 5 months later the pepboys pump gave up, and although he got the replacement for "free", I am pretty sure he wasn't too psyched about having to do all that labor again so soon.

Reply to
scott