1998 C1500 transmission

About 1/2 hour ago, I was on my way home in my 1998 Chevy C1500, V6, short bed, automatic transmission. I stopped at an intersection then as I was going through the intersection, I heard a loud noise that I thought was the tailgate falling open, it's done that a few times in the past. I stopped and looked and the tailgate was closed. A friend of mine was in the passenger seat and he said he thought the noise came from "under him". When I put it in gear, it would barely move. Finally I got moving, but it had no pickup at all and seemed to have very little power.

At the next stop, I was trying different things and came to find out that if I put it in '1', it would not move at all. I put it back into 'overdrive' and it finally got going. Got home with it and was messing around again - in 'overdrive' or '3', it would go but not much pickup and it would not downshift. I can sort of get it to move in '1' or '2' but when it is in those gears, it won't roll at all, you know how when you are in 'drive' and you let off the brake it will start to move, this is like you have the brake on while pushing on the gas.

Now, I have it in the driveway and I find out there is no reverse. And I can put it in neutral or any gear and it won't move, can't push it at all, just like it's in 'park'. Any ideas?

I bought this truck a little over 2 years ago and spent about $3,000 on it the first year - fuel pump, new exhaust and converter, new tires, etc. - don't think I am up to spending that much again. It has 138,000 miles on it and actually looks pretty good, no rust or major scratches - but maybe it's time to cut my losses and have it towed away...

Thanks for any ideas on what this could be!

Reply to
Rob

I'll crawl under with a flash light and have a look at the shift linkage. There's a small chance you hit something on the highway and it messed up the linkage. But I doubt it. Have you ever serviced the transmission? Have you ever serviced the rear axel? Just guessing. I once had the engine flywheel crack all to pieces. Made a lot of noise. That is attached to the tork converter. Take care of your vehicle and you should get 300,000 out of it. A rebuilt tranny, if it needs one, is a few thousand for a truck, depending on where you live. Wreckers have used ones and a garage could help you find one. Again if it needs one. Regular grease and oil is cheaper than parts.

Reply to
erness.wild

Dealer called me today, transmission is shot. Chevy wants $3010 total for a "certified rebuilt" 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. I called around and everyone was in the $2000 to $2500 range. I told them to leave the driveshaft off, have it towed home, and I'll list it on craigslist and see what I can get for it... Or it may get donated.

Thanks for all who wrote me about it, I appreciate it.

Reply to
Rob

Why not get a good used transmission from the local wrecker and put that in? $500-$600 for a used transmission, put it in yourself and keep driving.

Chris

Reply to
Hal