1998 GMC Safari

Hi, I have to do a tune up on a 1998 GMC Safari. I was told that to access the cap and rotor I go through the panel inside the van and that to get to the
spark plugs I have to take off the front left wheel to access it. Is this correct? If so is there a panel behind the front left wheel or do I just access it behind the wheel well?
--
Kevin Johnson