1998 Jimmy won't start.

I bought a 1998 Jimmy from my company(180,000 mi). It was used in a very dusty/dirty environment. It was running fine one night and the guy had turned it off but when he tried to leave, it wouldn't start again.
He said the air filter was caked with dust and dust was in around the throttle body. I fear that dust has gotten into the motor and it's totally screwed. The fuel pump is new and powers up as usual. The engine cranks over smooth but won't start. I suppose I should invest in a code scanner to check for sensor problems. Besides getting the trouble codes, is there anything else I can check myself? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Got spark, fuel presssure, will it start spraying carb cleaner into the intake, basic diagnostics are in order here.

-