1998 Lumina 3.1 with piston slap

I am considering buying one of these for my son. Has about 180,000 kilometers on it for about $2500. Real good shape with only one owner. How worried should we be about the piston slap ? Thanks

Reply to
JRL

Shep

It is now a concern cause a) We are considering buying it b) Don't really know much about piston slap c) Don't really know much about Luminas

That is why I am ask>It ran for 9 years and the listed mileage, why is this now a concern, they

Reply to
JRL

Reply to
Shep

"Shep" wrote in news:1178285773 snipped-for-privacy@sp6iad.superfeed.net:

Reply to
Kjun

My car isn't a Lumina, but it is a 1998 Malibu with the same engine. I bought the car for $1500 and at that time, it had 249,000 kms. Since then (9 months ago) I have put ~750 kms a week on it and engine wise, it has been running trouble free. When you first start it, you hear the piston slap for about 3-4 minutes, after that it goes away and is not noticeable.

My opinion; if this engine were going to break because of this piston slap, it surely would have done it a long time ago when it had much less kms.

Sharky

Reply to
Sharky