1998 Lumina 3.1 with piston slap

I am considering buying one of these for my son. Has about 180,000 kilometers on it for about $2500. Real good shape with only one owner. How worried should we be about the piston slap ? Thanks

It ran for 9 years and the listed mileage, why is this now a concern, they all had this condition.

-
It is now a concern cause a) We are considering buying it b) Don't really know much about piston slap c) Don't really know much about Luminas
That is why I am asking the experts like yourself for hopefully a somewhat qualified opinion on the car. I didn't know they all had this condition. Thanks

Mine has/had it for 180k no problem to this point, more if a concern are the intake manifold gaskets, they all failed and this can cause catastrophic engine problems, look into the history as to whether this was done already on this car.

-

nodding in agreement! piston slap is just an annoying little noise at times.....intake manifold gasket failure can easily become fatal if not watched closely..2500 bucks sounds about right for that yr in good shape. remove oil filler cap and see if it has white 'goop' on bottom of it. same with PVC vave (white goop = coolant in oil condensation). other than what has been mentioned, lumina was a good model........kjun
--
The Source For Premium Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention