1999 2.2 Cavalier Passlock System

This thing I believe is starting to give my son grief. Is there a way to disable this puppy. His car won't start sometimes and the idiot light is on. Thanks

These things can really be a PITA...You can Google for this procedure.
The one I had was a little complicated, involving substituting a precision resistor in the circuit which will defeat the resistor in the key.
You can replace the bad parts if you like but I think you will find this a good bit more expensive.
I recommend you have a competent mechanic do this work for you, but the procedure is on the internet if you choose to do it.