1999 chevy s10 trans winding sound

anyways my trans has recently taken a shit. after buying a used trans and installing it over a few nights i finally got the thing in. after starting the
truck for the first time i notice a shifting problem, the park neutral switch went, now that i have replaced that the trans makes a winding sound when in first gear only. is this a sign of a bad trans?
You probably have to diddle with the bellcrank that controls the shifter. I wouldn't be suprized to see both problems dissappear.