1999 GMC Safari

Jack writes,

Re: 1999 GMC Safari

Could you comment on the reliability and fuel consumption of this van? What is a fair value on average, to buy privately?

Thanks for your advice,

- Jack

Reply to
Ralph

Howdy Jack:

I have a 2000 Safari that I bought as a program van in 2001. It is not as well constructed as the 1993 Eddie Bauer Ford Aerostar that I traded in for it but has been more reliable in the engine department.

It had 17 Kmiles when I bought it and now has 81 Kmiles on it. Other than routine oil changes I have had a brake job, new shocks and flushed out the coolant and replaced with a universal type antifreeze. One door lock selenoid was replaced along with a vacuum check valve. Replaced the tires at 45 Kmiles and it is close to needing another set.

I get 15 to 16 mpg in town and 21 to 24 mpg on the highway. My lead footed wife usually brings the mpg in town down to 14.5 or so when she drives it.

Kelly Bluebook

gives a private party sale value from $6370.00 to $6895.00 for my zip code. Because most people want an SUV these days I doubt that I could get over $6000.00 for it.

The 4.3 V6 engine goes back to the original 1955 265 CI V8 and is well proven except for the valve guide seals that usually start leaking around 125 K or so.

I had a 1993 S-10 PU with the 4.3 in it and sold it at 207 Kmiles. The engine still did not use any oil (other for the puff at start up) and had never been opened up. I can't say that for the 4.0 Ford V6.

Hope this helps-

Reply to
Jarhead

I have a 2000 Astro I bought new. It has 60,000 miles now, it has been in for warranty once for a minor electrical problem. It has freeway merging power. I towed a small camp trailer and trailer full of wood with it.

It gets 20 mpg full of family and with the AC on going up hill, hauls 5 in fair comfort, I would buy it again. Check KBB or such for prices in your area.

Reply to
Scott

Jack responds,

Thank you very much for taking the time to advise me gentlemen.

- Jack

Reply to
Ralph

You're welcome!