1999 Intrigue 3.5 L - Electrical Problem

Today when I went to start the vehicle, turned the key and the dashboard lit up and speedometer and tachometer pegged. Engine did not turn fast so I turned key off and then turned it again and it started, though did not run well. After a short time running (20 min.) turned vehicle off and went to start 30 min. later and there was nothing when I turned the key. Connected to jumper cables and waited 5 min. and turned the key and again it reluctantly started. When to local repair shop and they checked the starting/charging system and said it was ok. Has anyone ever experienced a problem like this? I have an electrical problem, though I am not sure where it is. Any help in locating the problem is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Joe Guarino

Reply to
Joe Guarino

In your starting/charging system check, did they look closely at the cables? Grasp the ends and see if they turn indicating looseness. If it is a double cable end on the positive side, there should be a spacer in between. If a battery has leaked at some point in time(delco batteries are known to leak), then there might be some corrosion residing on your cable ends that is not readily visible. It might be the coincidence that you touched the cable ends with the jumper cables that made a connection enough to start. If it is a delco battery and it does show a sign of leak(typically + side), then the post(side post) is broken internal and may come out with cable. See if this helps, if not we'll try some more. Gerald

Reply to
Certainly