1999 Intrigue - Metal Shavings Near AC Compressor

I see metal shavings along the metal frame, just below the ac compressor. Are the metal shavings a sign of clutch slippage and ultimate failure? There seems to be quite a bit of play where the clutch plate engages.
Should I replace the clutch or the entire compressor? Also, I have the 3.5L engine....how do I determine if I have the V5 or V7 compressor? Any help is appreciated. Joe

You have clutch drag. My '00 Buick V5 did it and I soaked the rivet heads on the clutch with WD40 and it freed up the corrosion enough to stop the drag. Glad it worked as there is not enough clearance to use a puller to pull out the clutch a hair(.020") without dropping the compressor.
Explained here,
http://www.aircondition.com/wwwboard/2004Q1/15654.html
http://www.aircondition.com/wwwboard/2004Q1/17311.html