1999 Jimmy Keyless Remote

I thought my remote was broken and purchased another for my 1999 Jimmy. It came with instructions on programming the remote which I have tried several times with no success. If there is nothing wrong with the
remote, what part and or component do I need in order for the remote to communicate with and where is it located for changeout.
Also just in case my instructions for reprogramming are wrong can someone give me the sequence for programming a Keyless remote for a 1999 Jimmy. Thanks!
1. Close all vehicle doors.
2. Insert the key into the ignition.
3. Hold down the power UNLOCK button on the driver's door panel-continue to hold down until instructed to release.
4. Perform steps 5 through 8 in fairly rapid succession.
5. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (as far as you can go without starting the engine).
6. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
7. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
8. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
9. Release the power unlock button on the door panel. The vehicle will lock and unlock the doors automatically.
10. Hold down the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter simultaneously until the door locks and unlocks. This step may take up to 30 seconds.
11. Repeat step 10 NOW for each additional transmitter (including any existing transmitters).
12. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position in order to exit the transmitter programming mode.
http://programyourremote.com /