2.2 corsica won't start

1990 Corsica 2.2L I went to start it this morning, but all it would muster is some backfiring. I changed the spark plugs and checked the compression while I was at it. The result...it still backfires but won't start. How do I trouble shoot from here? This car has always started very easily and runs well. Thanks in advance!
Reply to
Rick De Visser

Jim.J

Reply to
Lord Jim

Checking spark, they -seem- ok from each wire. This car has a timing chain, but also has 300,000km Could it possibly jump a cog? Is there anyway to check other than removing the front cover? Oh, the backfiring is always through the intake. Richard

Reply to
Rick De Visser

Sounds like it's a timing chain issue. The 2.2 is bad about shreading the nylon chain tensioner; then the chain will jump 2 or 3 teeth. It's about a 3 hour job to replace it.

Reply to
Bruce Grant

OK, I ripped apart the front cover of the engine to find the car is in perfect time. I put it all back together again, and now it starts. Hmmmmm. Would contamination (oil or guck that I cannot see back there) on the cam/crank sensor cause a mis-time, or did the computer wack out on the timing for some other reason? Me thinks I need to visit GM and have them scan the computer if it happens again. rick

Reply to
Rick De Visser

It was the crank sensor

Reply to