2.3L Quad 4 Questions

Does anyone have any experience with the 2.3L Quad 4, or have any warnings/suggestions about this engine? I just picked up an Olds for next to nothing....seems to run well, but it needs a lot of body repair. The first thing I did was change the spark plugs, and I realized that this engine seems to be a little unconventional. Post replies to group.

-Nathan

Reply to
Nathan Lauver

It strongly depends on the year that you have. Before '92 they were absolutely awful about blowing head gaskets and cracking heads. There may be updated parts to help prevent this, such as updated water pumps and oil pumps, which failed often causing the head issues. Which also is very costly on these. The SOHC is far worse also than the DOHC. '93 and up saw beefed up heads with new cooling lines to better circulate fluid in the heads. I myself own a '95, which is both a "transitional" engine between 2.3L and 2.4L, and the last official 2.3L. More or less though, it's really a

2.3L like all the others. Balance shafts being the biggest change. I've modified mine and it's been driven pretty hard. I've kept up all maintenance though which really helps. I'm up to just over 129,000 miles and I've had to replace the flexplate. Which is probably mostly my fault. The timing chain, which is very long, and has nylon gears, which wear out faster. That's not specific to this engine either. Many others including V6's suffer this problem. And the alternator, which I must just be hard on them because I've never owned a car that didn't need one. Other than that, nothing to note. Starts, and runs great, doesn't use oil, great mileage, good power. I've had good experiences, though you will probably hear about a lot of bad ones.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

"Tony V." wrote

There are no "nylon" gears in any of the Quad engines. At least no gears that have anything to do with the timing chain. You may be thinking of the oil pump which did have a fibre gear and they were known to strip the teeth off that gear, but usually there was a good reason, such as coolant contamination in the oil, which caused the oil pump to sieze, as a result...the crank gear would shear off the teeth of the oil pump's fibre gear.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

It took me a little bit of remembering when the mechanic had my chain off, but you are right, they weren't nylon. They did get replaced though. I think they said just that the chain is so long, they wear out. Or wear the "shoe" out on the tensioner. I think that is where my problem really was.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

"Tony V." wrote

That's too bad if they replaced the sprockets. I've never seen any sprockets on the Quads that were worn enough to consider replacing. Perhaps the nylon parts that they were referring to were the chain guides and the tensioner shoe. These parts are fibre/nylon. Unfortunately, to the un-initiated....the chain guides will "appear" as though they are worn out, when really....the grooves in them are there right from brand new.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Keep an eye on the oil, the second it starts to look milky, change the head gasket. and head. put a new water pump on it now. If the water pump locks up it will take the timing chain with it. Put a 180 t-stat in it, these engine HATE heat. The ignition module wiring is kinda wierd, it has a tendancy to rub on the transmission and ground out, re locate the wiring to keep it up off the tranny.. Since your engine runs good and the body is bad, find another car with a blown q4. They are as common as flys in the summer, and do an engine swap. Good luck

Reply to
seeray