200 metric trans 79

hi everyone. I have a 79 monte with the 200 metric 3 speed trans. I put a new front seal and pan gasket and speedo oring. It still leaks around the front. It only does it when warm. I have layed under the car on heavy duty ramps and have sprayed the area clean with carb cleaner and have watched where it comes from. I have even tightened up the bolts alittle but wont cure it. I have been told that it is almost never the front seal but the pump seal. I have and eploded view of this trans and am wondering if i can just pull the front pump out and put in a new what ever type of seal it has. I think it could be and o-ring or gasket. I am not a trans mechanic but have had a few apart to learn from in the past. Help needed as i have it almost back out. thanks

Reply to
xnielsens

think

I strongly recommand that you just scrape the 200 and find a THM 350 in a bone yard and put it in its place. It is a bolt in. The THM 200 was a joke of a tranny that GM quietly slipped in cars around that time that had no bussiness using them and there were a lot of failures. It is a light weight tranny that was never meant for use behing a V8 in a mid sized to full sized car though a lot of them made it there for GM profit.

Reply to
SnoMan

Check your tourque converter fo a crack aroun the endf that goes into the pump end they sometime crack there and only leak when they heat up hope this helps

Reply to
MegroeG

Have to agree with SnoMan, I had a '77 Impala with the same tranny, never made it to 100K miles. Shop told me it was a lightweight transmission and not durable and replaced it with a rebuilt T350. Drove that for 175K more miles with zero service. I seem to recall they had to run a vacuum line to it, as the 200 had a detent cable but the 350 worked on vac, or maybe it was the other way around.

Reply to
Scott Reese