2000 Alero with 3.4 V6 with leak

A couple questions.
The car has 94,000 miles on it.
At what temperature are the cooling fans supposed to come on/
I believe I have the dreaded 3.4 gasket leak. The liquid pools on the
engine near the driver side under the air filter and I have coolant loss.
How much should the repair cost be, I am stationed overseas in the, so any repairs will cost 3 -4 times what they cost in the states. Could I do it myself with a person who know something about cars, I have access to a auto care center on the base.
Finally, the car is paid off, should I just drive it into the ground and buy a new one? How long should the car last with the leak?
Thank You
Joe
Fans come on at about 222 degrees, you cannot drive this if it is a int. leak, coolant may well get into the oil! The gasket job, and you must use the updated GM intake set, is about 6 hours labor and about 150.00 in parts, also must reuse Dexcool. Make sure this is not a coolant by pass hose or such under the the throttle body.

i would fix it :-d
David J and Lynne J Shepherd wrote:

When I was at a GM dealer, I always refilled dexcool vehicles with dexcool because that was the factory recommended coolant, but my personal opinion is that dexcool can cause more problems that it solves. I've seen gunked up dexcool and I think dexcool vehicles seem to leak more than non-dexcool vehicles. If it were my car, I'd flush out the dexcool, install regular anti-freeze, and service it every year.