2000 Blazer won't start

We have a 2000 Blazer 4.3 V6...strange symptoms...first for about a month my wife described a "stutter" on start-up intermittently, so I thought fuel filter and/or water in the fuel...treated those
symptoms...the problem seemed to go away...then last Friday I drove her truck to work, it ran great driving in to work, but when I came out at the end of the day it cranked but didn't start. Like it was either not getting fuel or fire. The next morning after leaving it at work overnight it started right up. I didn't really notice if the fuel pump was running Friday.
It has benn running fine since Saturday and then this morning in the garage (thankfully) it wouldn't start again. I made note that the fuel pump doesn't seem to be running. Before I jump in and buy a $300 pump, drop the tank and replace it...has anyone got other ideas to check the pump to see if it is bad or other issues it might be?
Any help would be fantstic!

You need to find out what is missing when it doesn't start, spark or fuel. If you think that it is a fuel pressure issue you can check for proper pressure with a fuel pressure gauge.

It sounds like a fairly typical fuel pump failure, but without testing the pressure in the fuel line, it's still just a guess. If you're not hearing the pump - that's a very good indicator, and in fact one that many of us would consider good enough. You do not need to buy the entire pump and sending unit. You can buy the pump alone for a fraction of the price, and simply replace the pump on your sender. Suggest you get some fuel injector clamps to reattach the fuel line at the pump, rather than rely on the friction fit.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

There's actually two parts. Is it being turned on and is it turning on. If it's being turned on but it doesn't turn on, that implies the pump motor is bad. But if it's not being turned on, the problem is either 'back' before the pump (for example, no power) but you have to know WHY it's not being turned on.
Divide and conquer. Before you buy a new pump, either manually apply power to see if it will run, or 'splice in' a wire and hook it to a voltmeter and watch it being turned on and off. If you see it being turned on and off, and it doesn't work, then feel better about plunking down the money to try a pump.