2000 Buick - intake manifold gasket already ?????

Friend of mine has a 2000 Buick Century Millenium Edition.
Car only has about 40,000 miles on it.
She is diagnosed as needing an INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET to the tune of about
$700. She had a very slight anitfreeze leak and the check engine light was coming on.
Any others experienced this repair this early ??
Any SECRET RECALLS/WARRANTIES on this item ???
Car is out of warranty - after 3 years - NATURALLY.
TIA
Common issues with the Stalwarth 3.1 Engines are Gasket replacements and piston slap. I would get a second opinion on the gasket leak issue. If you do replace the gasket, I can't recall the part number, but there is a TSB on a "improved" gasket replacement that lasts longer then the current one. The price for the gaskets are not too bad, the labour is a killer.

Your friend is not alone. Good luck with GM. http://www.geocities.com/gm_intake /

Mike wrote:

Which gets me thinking - what exactly is wrong with metal? Sheesh.
On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 20:09:15 GMT, Joseph Oberlander

It costs money, and GM doesn't want to spend money to fix these problems.
I don't think that it is cost alone but rather weight (weight = fuel). A lighter car will get better gas mileage and automakers try to save weight where they can. In the late 1970's, GM experimented with a plastic engine (V8 made of carbon fiber). At the time they thought that all of the engine could be made of the material.