2000 Cavalier - missing badly

My 2000 Cavalier (2.2 standard engine with automatic trans) is all of a sudden missing badly. It started about a week ago. I replaced the plugs (they had about 25,000 miles on them and weren't all that bad) and it cleared up a little. Now the miss is really bad and the engine is surging at idle. The "Trac Off" light came on at the same time the miss started. It goes away from time to time (during the last 10 mile drive) and when it clears up the "Trac Off" light goes off.

What do I look at first?

By the way, where do I find the EGR valve on that engine. I priced it at the parts shop and they quoted me $297.00 because they said it is "electronic" (?).

Thanks for any help you can give.

Reply to
Rose Melinis

I think you should take it to a good mechanic who can look at the OBDII data and analyze the problem. Today's cars are computers and you cannot fix them by throwing parts at them unless you are independently wealthy. Anyone who plans on working on current cars needs the OEM service manual from Helm and needs to do a lot of reading up on how the different parts of the car works. You also can't troubleshoot it without an OBDII tester. Sorry no fix information from me as with what you have explained it could be anything under the hood and some possibilities not under the hood....

Reply to
Woody

Thanks. I will try to get a neighbor to check it out. I don't want to take it to a service place without knowing myself what it could be. I am no mechanic at all but I don't trust any service place. They just take advantage I think.

This is so frustrating.

Rose

Reply to
Rose Melinis