2000 Cavalier Z24 Power Window part done!~

Bought a motor today, read the generic instructions with no diagrams, checked that it worked both directions on 12 volts and began to remove the old motor/regulator assembly. 3 of the 5 rivets punched out easily and the other 2 had to be drilled out. My question is.....what's next? The glass has been secured in the upright position by many strips of duct tape looped over the top of the door. Do I remove the 4 bolts/nuts next? 2 secure the lower horizontal rail of the "sissors" assembly to the door and the other 2 clamp the bottom of the glass. The one towards the front of the car is difficult to access when the window is up (maybe I should have loosed these ones at the window before I drove the window up fully?) Any advice is welcomed....Thanks Sol

2002 Grand Prix 3.1 2000 Impala 3.8 2000 Z24
Reply to
Solomon Darcus

Going from cloudy memory here.

Struggle to get the two nuts removed from the bottom of the window glass. (that way you're not struggling to try to get them off while the weight of the mechanism is trying to pull the window down. There is an easier position to get them out from, but ! the window motor has to be working in order to get them in the correct position easily :(

Remove the remaining bolts (as you've mentioned that you've removed all the fastening rivets, I personally always forget to do one of the rivets). Unplug the motor & feed it out through the opening in the back of the door. Drill out the rivets holding the guide shield on the motor and remove the motor from the frame. (at this point, it is wise to lube the slides and the contact points).

Re-assemble & re-install. I am unsure if you've got the correct sized rivet gun, but if not and if you're using nuts and bolts I found that taping the two (impossible to reach nuts) to the open end of a wrench you will find that you can hold them in place, tighten them and pull the wrench out.

I think I mentioned the process earlier (beer, blood, blasphemy).

You'll be fine & it'll work great. Let us know your success

Reply to
Full_Name