2000 Chev Cavalier A/C

Can anyone give me info on what is needed to re-charge the A/C on a

2000 Chevy Cavalier. Thank You
Reply to
kiwiusa

Are you talking top off or full recharge after opening system to do a repair ?

R 134A can become dangerous if " oxygenated " *** Never use compressed air to test a R 134A system *** That's why the special ACME valves . For starters use a Pressure guage to determine if system holds pressure, if it's flat, you need serious servicing, if it's down a bit, use a can tapper to add R134A to * Low * side. The Tapper is a few bucks at any auto parts store, along with the R134A which you can buy without a licence. The pressure guage may be a bit hard to find, try a big auto parts store, or a dept. store with a big auto section.

Florescent dye can be purchaced in tiny cans that connect to tapper, add to low side with compressor running, you might want to short low pressure switch [ on accumulator ] to get compressor running if system is low.

For serious AC service, you need an evacuator, plan is to draw vacuum on system for at least 1/2 hour to remove air and moisture from system. Failure to do that will result in system icing up [ water vapor ] or blowing up [ oxygenated R134A ] .

If you only want to keep your AC in top tune, get it evacuated and recharged by a " good " shop. Write down outside air temperature, and pressure indicated on guage. Later on, on a day that's the same temperature, check pressure with guage, add R134A until pressure is same as when car left shop. Air temp affects pressure, since I suck at math, I go with " same temp " readings.

Reply to
451CTDS