2000 Chevy Cavalier Z 24

Hi My Daughter just called & said that her car is on the highway & won't run but for a few miles & then dies. It's a 2.2 (i think) She went thru this
last year & changed the fuel filter & air filter & nothing helped. Says she put a new battery in it & nothing seemed to help. Says she can't remember what finally did the trick, honest. Does anyone know of anything that we could try that might help? I'd appreciate it & so would she. Thank You Jet

Sounds like...
A blocked catalytic converter.
Given that the car starts and runs and the fuel and air filters are new, there is something "stopping" the engine. An intermittent problem that "goes away" after the car is left to cool for awhile. It's a guess, I admit...but the car is also (coincidentally) about the age where that particular problem would first show up.
Take it to a mechanic who can connect an OBDII tester to it and analyze what is happening. It could be anything and any suggestions you get here are pure speculation and in the end will cost you more than having a qualified mechanic fix it. Everything in cars today are controlled by and monitored by the computers so throwing parts at it on a guess is useless and expensive.

Well,,,, First of all,, Thanks for the quick feedback. She had a Garage find 2 codes in it. One for a crankshaft position sensor and one for an O-2 sensor. So all was well till about ten minutes ago. After getting her calmed down she said that it died on her on the way home, (luckily just a few blocks from the house), so her boyfriend has a codereader or scantool or whatever it is, that will hopefully tell us more when she gets it home in an hour or two. She said it ran fine up untill this little episode tho. I'll keep ya posted on the results. Thanks Again Jet

Hi All
Well,, as of Saturday afternoon the Mechanic at the Garage she took it to cannot find the problem. The catalytic converter is OK, the fuel pump is OK and no codes when it dies. She has an appointment at the Chevrolet dealership at 8:00 Monday morning so hopefully they'll find the problem. I've got a feeling this is gonna be expensive. Oh well, I told ya that I'd keep ya up to date and I will,, no matter what it costs. Jet

Ping Shep and Ian: Isn't the ignition module on these vehicles problematic, causing those sort of symptoms?
Steve