2000 Grand Am Manual Transmission Rattle like noise

When I'm driving in 1st, there seems to be a transmission noise. Sounds like a worn-out ungreased bearing. It's like rattling noise, quite hard to describe, without the bearing analogy. It's been there since almost the beginning. It seems to be common to this type of transmission (geartag5 ?), I've heard some manual transmission Sunfires exhibit the same problem.

Any help would be appreciated. Maciej

Ps. Please replay to the group not email (fake)

Reply to
Maciej

"Maciej" wrote

Getrag. There have been some ongoing problems with these transmissions. GM says there are two separate rattling noises and one of them is considered normal. The first attempt at a repair was to overfill the transmission with 'Saturn' spec trans fluid. Then they said "no, scratch that idea" and have come up with 'wavy washers' that fit between the synchro rings and the 3rd and 4th gears. Even though you hear the noise in 1st and 2nd gear, it's actually 3rd and 4th that makes the noise.

Anyway, this involves removing the transmission, stripping it down and installing these 'wavy washers' on the 3rd and

4th gears. There is a specific bulletin on this problem, but it cannot be accessed without the VIN of the affected vehicle at this point.

You might also want to just check the shift cables where they run into the firewall. I've found a lot of Sunfires that had the cables rubbing and vibrating against the steering rack external metal fluid pipes.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai