2000 Impala backfire blew out upper intake manifold.

I am new to this forum and was wondering if anyone could help? My wife started our 2000 impala(3800) and it turned over a couple of times, backfired then blew a big hole in the upper intake manifold. I got the manifold off and noticed what I am pretty sure is gas pooled around the bolts for the lower intake manifold. It was dark in color and smelled like gas. Can anybody advise on causes of the backfire or the strange liquid?

Reply to
Cycodustin

"Cycodustin" wrote

started our 2000 impala(3800) and it turned over a couple of times, backfired then blew a big hole in the upper intake manifold. I got the manifold off and noticed what I am pretty sure is gas pooled around the bolts for the lower intake manifold. It was dark in color and smelled like gas. Can anybody advise on causes of the backfire or the strange liquid?

There is a bulletin on this problem, but I can't seem to find it at the moment....perhaps some other knowledgable person can pipe up. I believe you have to replace the intake (obviously) and there may be a software update for the ECM.

Anyway, I've seen it happen before, not often, but it does happen.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

our 2000 impala(3800) and it turned over a couple of times, backfired then blew a big hole in the upper intake manifold. I got the manifold off and noticed what I am pretty sure is gas pooled around the bolts for the lower intake manifold. It was dark in color and smelled like gas. Can anybody advise on causes of the backfire or the strange liquid?

Holy crap! I've had them backfire from a bad crank sensor but that was more like a bad ping usually. Still under warranty?

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Not under warranty, unfortunately. We bought it used.

Reply to
Cycodustin

Darn... Well look into what Ian mentioned. If GM doesnt cover the intake because of a ecm glitch you can goto northernautoparts.com and do a keyword search for Dorman. Its an aftermarket intake thats less than half the oem intake price.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

If you've bought GM vehicles before you might want to talk to Chevy, they may work something out with you.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Turns out it was the fuel pressure regulator.

Reply to
Cycodustin