2000 malibu 3.1 engine shuts off while driving, after stopping the car and turning key off, it starts and runs fine for awhile, then shuts off again

Page 2 of 2
I presume you mean this one, PeterD: http://gmspecialservicetools.spx.com/ToolDetails.aspx?id302
Tomorrow I got some time and will do a phone sweep,. Pacific
Northwest.
PS., my son decided to R&R the crankshaft sensors, I came home and he's got it up on jack stands and the crankshaft pulley off. Didn't have time to finish today. Said he would finish in AM.

snipped-for-privacy@cam.com wrote:

Swap the ignition switch.
--
Steve W.
(\___/)
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 23:28:57 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@cam.com wrote:

Yes, that is the one I use.
New developement, HOPEFULLY ITS FIXED>> FINGERS CROSSED>
Yesterday, we completed the crankshaft sensors replacement, and plunked in a new crankshaft oil seal while its apart.
We took it for a test run and it shut off while driving again after 20 minutes. This time it wouldn't restart.
Had it towed to the shop.
Today they ran the diagnostics, ecu pcm and sensors all ok. Still wouldn't start.
Fuel pump was erratic. Fluctuating pressure. So they repaced the fuel pump. $800 later, I drove the car for about an hour now, and it runs great.
I'm hoping the problem is solved.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I asked why they don't have the VDR, I showed him the printoff) he couldn't anwer. But he did say that the VDR wouldn't have solved this problem. H'mmmm.

snipped-for-privacy@cam.com wrote:

Because you wouldn't want to pay the labor rate if every shop bought every piece of equipment available.

100% correct. The PCMs only authority on the fuel pump is to provide a ground for the fuel pump relay. There is NO feedback what-so-ever.
The good news is; the problem could have been easily diagnosed with a simple fuel pressure gauge.
On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 00:28:27 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@cam.cam wrote:

New developement, HOPEFULLY ITS FIXED>> FINGERS CROSSED>
Yesterday, we completed the crankshaft sensors replacement, and plunked in a new crankshaft oil seal while its apart.
We took it for a test run and it shut off while driving again after 20 minutes. This time it wouldn't restart.
Had it towed to the shop.
Today they ran the diagnostics, ecu pcm and sensors all ok. Still wouldn't start.
Fuel pump was erratic. Fluctuating pressure. So they repaced the fuel pump. $800 later, I drove the car for about an hour now, and it runs great.
I'm hoping the problem is solved.
After the fuel pump change, all is perfect know for a couple of weeks, touch wood. Here is something I found ,
** This defect investigation is filed under 4 related vehicle components. 2000 CHEVROLET MALIBU -- ODI opened PE02-066 to evaluate the scope and consequence of engine power-loss due to fuel starvation induced by in-tank modular fuel pump strainer restriction. The subject pumps use an external ?sock? strainer to filter fuel flowing to the pump inlet. This filter can sometimes become clogged, resulting in a reduced flow of fuel to the engine. GM has subsequently modified the strainers to reduce this restriction. Analysis of the ODI complaint database shows that despite these restrictions, the subject vehicles stall at a rate that is comparable to those of many peer vehicles. Additionally, none of the relevant warranty repair rates exceed 1% at 36 months of exposure. One related crash involves a stalled vehicle that was rear-ended on the roadway, while the remainder involved minor collisions or scrapes. The sole injury consisted of bruising from a low speed frontal crash. Given these circumstances, further expenditure of Agency resources is not justified in this matter. The preliminary evaluation is therefore closed. The closing of this investigation does not constitute a finding by NHTSA that no safety-related defect exists. The Agency will take further action in the future if warranted. Investigation was initiated on September 06 2002. Closed on November 03 2003. For detailed information & supporting documents, see the official NHTSA page concerning investigation #PE02066