2000 Montana, Programing keyfob?

I have a new fob that I would like to program to our 2000 Montana.. Currently, it has our one remaining fob programmed, as well as our other one, wherever it may be. (Got lost).
I've been told by the dealer that this can only be accomplished via a scantool, presumably accessing the BCM to get it into program mode.
However, I have a sneaky suspicion that there is an alternate programming method, similar to alot of other GM vehicles, that doesn't require scantool access to accomplish a fob program.
Can anyone let me know if this is indeed the case with a 2K Montana, or if indeed this is a "scantool program" only model?
I'm still somewhat pissy about the cost of a new key for the Passkey2 system, but at this point I'd be happy to have at least one more functional fob, at the very least. The key will have to wait, as the local dealer wants $60 for the key (including the cut), and then $30 to program.
On the same topic, anyone know if there's a Passkey program method that doesn't require a scantool to access the body control module? I have my doubts on this one, but gotta ask.. :-)