2000 silverado leaking coolant

It seems like a tell tale sign of a failing water pump but I guess I'm in denial. It started leaking coolant just after the 30 K service and has gotten gradually worse. I've got 45K on the odometer now. Overnight it drops about one to two teaspoons of coolant on the floor. I've gotten under there and can't see where it's coming from but it may very well be the water pump. It's definitley the front of the motor. My question is are there any service bulletins covering a premature water pump failure or gasket failure for these engines (5.3L)? or should I just bite the bullet and make the repair. Or do i just keep driving it and wait until it starts to become a major issue? Suggestions? Thanks Bill Chase

Reply to
chase12

Is it possible it's coming from the radiator cap? There is a bulletin about coolant loss from a bad sealing surface on the radiator filler neck, it advises polishing with 400-grit sandpaper backed with a block of wood.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

"chase12" wrote

There are no bulletins that I'm aware of for premature pump or head gasket failure. There should be on the head gaskets, but that's another story. The three items I've seen fail on these engines are: water pump, water pump gaskets, and head gaskets. The head gaskets just split along the outer edges and leak coolant, usually though...the leak will run back along the parting line (head and block) and appear to come from the rear. Replacing the water pump is fairly straight forward, and probably quite expensive, as the pump comes complete with the pulley pressed on, and new thermostat and housing. That's a GM one, but I'm not sure if they have reman or aftermarket one's available yet.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Ian

You mean to say the Thermo housing is part of the water pump? Is that on the 5300 V8?

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~270,000 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

If you just had the 35,000 mile service, maybe you got the pin hole in the radiator hose trick performed by some good wrench ?

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~270,000 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

"Harry Face" wrote

The thermostat housing is separate (ie: it can be unbolted from the water pump) but the thermostat is part of the housing, so when a thermostat is changed, you have to buy the housing and t/stat as a unit. And for whatever reason, new water pumps come complete with a new housing and t/stat.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai