2001 Alero security light

Hi, 2001 Alero. I recently had trouble with my remote start transponder. First of all the SECURITY light was blinking and car wouldn't start. Easy enough to fix this by leaving key in ON position for 10 minutes until alarm clears. Turn off and restart with no problem.

My problem now is that the security light is always on. I removed the bypass module and hard wired the correct resistor value to allow the starter to work.

No problem starting anymore-just that light is always on.

Does anyone know of a way to reset the always on SECURITY light without a trip to the dealer? The owners manual only tells how to reset a blinking code and refers a steady to the dealer.

I know it was set becuase it thinks the passlock was tampered with. Just don't know how to get rid of the light without removing the lamp.

Also, I recently saw a bit of information regarding turning off the passlock system altogether by doing some sequence with the remote. Could not find any more info than that.

Any ideas? Chris

The light is on because of a fault in the Passlock system - since the car still starts, it's probably in fail-enable mode because it was detected after the engine was already running. You'd need to get the codes read out to figure out exactly what's going on.

No, you can't disable the system like you mentioned..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Robert, Do you know if I can access these codes with an OBdII scanner and if so, can I also reset with it?

First

enough

Depends on the scanner - it probably will need to access BCM trouble codes, some can only access powertrain codes.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Thanks for the help. At least now I know where I need to focus.

the

starter