2001 Alero security light

Threaded View
Hi,
2001 Alero. I recently had trouble with my remote start transponder. First
of all the SECURITY light was blinking and car wouldn't start. Easy enough
to fix this by leaving key in ON position for 10 minutes until alarm clears.
Turn off and restart with no problem.

My problem now is that the security light is always on. I removed the bypass
module and hard wired the correct resistor value to allow the starter to
work.

No problem starting anymore-just that light is always on.

Does anyone know of a way to reset the always on SECURITY light without a
trip to the dealer?
The owners manual only tells how to reset a blinking code and refers a
steady to the dealer.

I know it was set becuase it thinks the passlock was tampered with. Just
don't know how to get rid of the light without removing the lamp.

Also, I recently saw a bit of information regarding turning off the passlock
system altogether by doing some sequence with the remote. Could not find any
more info than that.

Any ideas?
Chris

Re: 2001 Alero security light
The light is on because of a fault in the Passlock system - since the car
still starts, it's probably in fail-enable mode because it was detected
after the engine was already running. You'd need to get the codes read out
to figure out exactly what's going on.

No, you can't disable the system like you mentioned..

--
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Re: 2001 Alero security light

First
enough

Re: 2001 Alero security light
Depends on the scanner - it probably will need to access BCM trouble codes,
some can only access powertrain codes.

--
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Re: 2001 Alero security light
Thanks for the help. At least now I know where I need to focus.
codes,
detected
the
starter