2001 aztek 3.4 runs hot

Just replaced the engine in daughter in laws 2001 3.4 Aztec. Radiator fans running when A/C on and gauge reads normal. Shut the air off and it runs hot,gauge very close to red line before fans run.
Why do the fans come on so late and only run a short time? What can I do to make the fans run sooner?

replacement ? about how many miles are on the new engine?

justme wrote:

I think that the fan on those is controlled by the engine management computer. If so, there is nothing you can easily do to kick it in sooner.
Do check the oil for signs of anti-freeze contamination. The intake manifold gaskets on that series of engines fails with alarming regularity. The most sensitive easy way to check is with a $25 used oil analysis at your next oil change interval. www.blackstone-labs.com is one of the companies which can do the analysis for you by mail.
John

Is there some sort of coolant sensor that needs replacing perhaps? Or an electronic module of sorts that triggers the fans? I'd get a Chilton's or Haynes at Autozone and trace it out.
-