2001 Bonneville Fuel gauge question

I was reading another post about fuel guage issues - I have a 2001 Bonneville and when the fuel gauge gets around a quarter of a tank or so the needle starts to move towards full again and then stays at fuel
- does this sound like the fuel sensor? How can I Check it? Do I have to remove the Fuel Tank to replace it? and if so I should replace the Fuel pump at the same time(if it is inside the tank)?