2001 Buick Century rear window

Window is off track, motor may be OK, door panel looks hard to remove, dont need a big hassle, should I attempt repair or take out a loan?

Reply to
Your name

Chances are, the lift mechanism (regulator) is broken. There is a cable that lifts the window and is prone to braking. I never priced the part until just now and it looks to be about $200. It is probably a couple of hours labor to replace it. I had three of them break on me within six months on two different cars. Since they were rear windows that are rarely used, I just propped them closed with a wood stick, never to be opened again.

To remove the door panel, there are probably a couple of screw hidden behind a trim piece at the handle. Pry the trim off, remove the screw. Then remove the panel by prying up one corner of the bottom and pulling away the fasteners. It will lift off the window ledge.

Tight quarters to work getting the regulator out then back in so I opted to just keep them closed.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:JUwai.13297$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.net:

Tnx your reply Ed, Not at all familiar with this mechcanism but as the cable is completely out I believe something has sprung. Have seen half a dozen of these things with motor attached on the web for between $50 and $120. Local dealership asking over $300!!! Because the car is near mint AND Pa state insp is a factor I will buy a replacement and play mechanic. I believe a critical part of replacing this is where the GLASS meets the STEEL, so I will be asking questions about that. IMO the problem occured because the window seldom moves and was stuck to the surrounding window frame causing more than usual force to lower it. Rest assured the rear window buttons on my armrest console will be covered in some way to prevent pushing them by mistake. salut lefty

Reply to
Your name

Things may have changed, but when I lived in PA, all you had to have was a window, it did not have to move up and down. At least no one ever checked mine.

You may be somewhat correct about the lack of use being a problem. Both of mine on my LeSabre happened when I hit a button accidentally. I just never put the rear windows down. Rarely put the front down too. I just left them unplugged. Once side no longer has a regulator at all, just two pieces of wood wedge below the glass.

The hard part of the job is working inside the door as space is very tight even for average sized hands.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

When you do get to the regulator, be sure to clean off the dirt and old grease. Since the window is not used often, everything tends to stick together. You can get a pry tool for the panel at any autoparts store. Look for a hidden screw around the door handel, have flash- light handy. I live in PA and rear windows is not an issue. Driver's side yes. Good luck.

Reply to
brxsep