2001 Buick Century with sunken seats

I have a 2001 Buick Century with about 30,000 miles on it. Overall, it has been a good car but we find that the driver/passenger seats seem to have sunk. This is alarming as we are about 150 lbs each and drive the vehicle very seldomly.

Has anyone noticed this problem with their Buick and has suggestions? I am in the Toronto, Canada area.

Thanks

Reply to
Car Guy

This may sound stupid, but do you have power seats and the seat just got lowered by someone?

Reply to
Steve Mackie

We have power seats and they are at the same position as before. I measure the depression in the seat from the centre to the seats to be a few inches.

The power seat position was the first thing I checked so your inquiry was valid.

Steve Mackie wrote:

Reply to
Car Guy

Reply to
Shep

Sounds like the cloth that holds up the foam gave way. That happened to my car at 150,000 miles. I fixed it by screwing (roughly) 18" x 18", 1\4" wire mesh to the frame under the seats.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Hey Car Guy!

Consumer Reports is always pointing out the "soft" seats in Many GM cars, especially full-size Buick models.

I like Buicks, and have been buying the full-size models all of my adult life. That is a longgggg time because I am over 85 years old. My wife is over 82, and she puts most of the mileage on our car these days.

I just bought a Buick Century Custom 2004 in spite of my knowledge of CU's opinion.

It replaced a 1988 Buick Le Sabre.

I subscribe to CU and especially review the April Editions every year.

BUT I make up my own mind nevertheless!

I like Buicks, soft seats not withstanding.

Reply to
Panos Popadopalous

I like them too, Panos. I was given a '93 century last year by my mother who bought a newer car. I noticed it was quite a bit quieter than our old family car, a '92 Olds Cutlass Supreme that I'd given to my college boy. I had to replace replace the fuel tank on the Cutlass due to a puncture about

4 months ago, (steel on the road). It had two narrow strips of noise deadening insulation between the body and the fuel tank. About a month later, the fuel pump in the Century died at 80,000 miles and I had to drop that tank also. It had a sound deadening mat that nearly wrapped the entire top of the tank and isolated it from the body. Seemed like the engineers went the extra mile to make the car quieter, at least to me.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

The foam in the seat cushion may have split in half where it presses against a spring. If you have power seat raise them up as high as they go and see if you can see the bottom of the foam cushion, Feel around under there and see if you can feel if it split open.

If you can't see or feel anything then the seat covering would have to be removed then to inspect it.

Good Luck.....

Harryface

05 Park Avenue 91 Bonneville LE, 303,555 miles
Reply to
Harry Face

Harry, IMHO the best and easiest remedy for a Buick "soft"seat is to get a thick cushion to sit on.

Reply to
Panos Popadopalous

test

Reply to