2001 Cadillac mirror compass problem

I have a 2001 Cadillac STS with rear-view mirror integrated compass. The compass direction seems generally inaccurate. A slight turn changes the compass from NW to SW (while still heading northward). Some directions like N or S are hard to lock in. I haven't noticed the compass to be 180' out, but it's not that useful.

Is there a way to calibrate the compass? Is this how the compass fails? (Back for warranty..)

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike

It sounds like the same type as in my 2002 Buick. Yes, there is a set procedure, and it involves the magnetic declination and driving around in circles (no joke).

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

Can you be more specific? Just drive clockwise in a circle 3 times? Anything to press / trigger?

Are the syptoms I described indicative of a compass "declination"...?

-mike-

Reply to
Mike

Yes. Follow the whole procedure in your owner's manual under "compass calibration". It is about one small page of steps.

I don't understand your description.

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

I had to do this to a customers Jimmy once, you had to press down the US/MET and MODE button together for like 10 seconds, then it would show on the display MVAR which stands for magnetic variance. What happens is magnetic north is not the same as true north, and depending on where your at in the globe, effects how far off it is. Anyways, this lady felt that when she was driving "north" on the road, it should show "north" except it showed NE, which is really the true direction of magnetic north, This is the way it had been before it had come in for service, and with the battery disconnected, now it wasnt showing the right direction to her. So being the incredibly smart person I am, she had mentioned she was from california, so I looked it up and set her magnetic variance over to the california number, Another happy (though blissfully ignorant) customer. I'm looking on the net for the instructions, but I'm not finding them, might have to run it by a nice dealer.

Reply to
Paradox

There is a procedure for setting the compass to correct for your region. Magnetic north and true north differ and the difference varies by location. It is quite possible that your compass thinks you are in Florida when you are in fact in New Mexico (or some such ... I don't know!).

If you get your hands on the owners manual it should have the region setting procedure in there.

John

Reply to
John Horner