2001 Cadillac Seville door lock mystery

I have a used 2001 Cadillac Seville (Canadian) with a strange problem:

Any of the four doors can LOCK all four door locks by pressing the electronic lock button. However, only the DRIVER can UNLOCK all for doors by pressing the electronic unlock button. If any other door presses the electronic unlock button, nothing happens (but they can unlock their own door by pulling the mechanical door lock button).

My dealer says this is by design - but it seems strange. Any other Seville owners have this problem/feature??

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike Stahl

Mike:

Most GM products, and many other manufactures, have this feature in them for safety. Some even refer to it as "kiddy" locks. This way, kids can not get the door unlocked as easily and the driver has full control. Kinda like the rear windows only going half way down on most newer cars. Most vehicles with this lock feature have a switch on the driver's side that turns this function off or on depending on your liking. Maybe the Cad's make this a permanent feature instead of allowing you to choose.

Reply to
Don & Connie Clarke

Apparently on this car, the rear switches can only lock the doors, not unlock them. I think the front passenger switch should be able to unlock them, however..

Reply to
Robert Hancock