2001 cavalier wont start

I was accelerating up a little hill and my car felt like it just went into neutral. I had gas, my gas pump comes on when i turn my car to the on position. I tried starting it and it does sound like its
getting gas cause it startes for about a second or so. When i try starting it and giving a little gas i can hear a slight backfire. This morning i tried starting it and it wouldnt turn over at all. My stepdad suggested that my timeing belt probably slipped or could just be an oxygen sensor ( which i doubt ). Any Suggestion with the little info i gave you? Thanks Tim

Not much info Tim. Could be a plugged catalytic converter. Did it smell hot?
Al
"Big Al1" wrote:
> [...]
I know, but i now i know the problem and had another question. They said my fuel pump is clogged cause my i ran out of gas on hightway and my gas gauge is broken. They said it would be about 500 to fix. I want to try and do it myself, IS it Hard to Take down the Gas Tank???? Thanks Tim
On 22 Jun 2005 19:36:24 -0400, twitchentim

Not if you jack the car up and drain the tank of fuel, no.