2001 Chevy Prizm Help!

Briefly...
72000 miles- Check engine light comes on and goes out after three days.
76700 miles- check engine light comes on - diagnosed as bad catalytic
converter. Replaced under warranty.
82,000 miles- Check engine light comes on and goes out after three days.
87,000 miles- Engine has full tuneup, found out that the light code was for lean engine, but it still runs rough. Fuel filter changed, but no help (pressure was good though). Dealer does "top engine clean" but this does not help. Checks MAF and TEMP sensors which are good. Winds up changing bad Oxygen sensor (catalyst monitoring) and Evaporative pressure solenoid (vent soleniod was stuck open). Car seemed to run better, but next day check engine light came back on and car seems to be running rougher, but that could be my imagination. Any other ideas as to what could be wrong? Dealer is stumped!!!!!
prizmnut wrote in alt.autos.gm

help
First idea, don't go to the dealer. Good mechanics leave the dealers and go to independant shops. Find one. And you should note that when the check engine light comes on a code is stored, usually. And replacing one sensor does not stop other sensors from going bad. Find out what the code is for the check engine light, and we can from there. You can get the code read by going to an Autozone store.
--
Dick #1349
Turns out that the Throttle Position Sensor was corroded and the dealer replaced that under warranty. Anyway the check engine light is out. I can't stand dealers either, but I bought the extended warranty during a weak moment when I bought the car. Thanks! You were on the right track with the sensors!

Some dealerships should ve avoid for sales, others for service. Some are excellent, where as others will screw you over. Some will try to milk the warrantte for parts not needed, and leave the customer screwed.
The sad part is that with privet shops the percentages of bad ones are even higher. Trust me, It's my trade were talking about. Charles